Fios takes 3-5 minutes on first internet try.
tomcattim

Hello,

My neighbor just got Fios and after it was installed, it took 3-5 minutes for it to connect to the internet. After the first log on it is back to being 5 secs to load his home page. Tried disabling wireless but no joy. Any help?

Tim

0 Likes
Re: Fios takes 3-5 minutes on first internet try.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
What is the brand and model of this router?
0 Likes
tomcattim
Thanks for the response. Its a M1424WR. 2nd one. I thought maybe it was bad. He didn't have this problem until Fios. Computer hooks right up on my cable.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

How much ram memory on the computer? Fios tends to use more ram than cable/dsl (not much more but enough that if you are borderline it will make a difference) so if you are running windows xp with 256mb of ram for an example, that is possibly a contributing factor. boosing ram usually helps. 

Also is this wireless or wired connection? Can you try both? Does it make a difference? You say it takes several minutes to load initially and then onces connected it runs fine. What happens if you close the browser completely, does it take a long time to reopen again or does it run smoothly afterward? Does it only get slow once the computer is rebooted and making its first connection after a boot or does it do the same thing after sleep mode or if you are away from the computer for a while?

Message Edited by spacedebris on 07-20-2009 10:27 AM
0 Likes
tomcattim

It has 2 gig, and if you close the browser its back up  very quickly. No wireless on board. I disabled the wireless on the router also. No problems with it until Fios. Still lost.

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
I thought so.

While I do not have FIOS, how about this...

#1 http://www.verizonfioswiki.com/index.php/Using_Your_Own_Router

#2 And OR

URL: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Title/Location: All DSLR (.dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » Networking » What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

^^^
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I would actually download a 2nd browser like opera, just to test it,  if I were a betting man, I would say that opera would open up quickly with no hitch where internet explorer takes forever. 

Try it if you have an extra 2 minutes to download, install and test.

www.opera.com

0 Likes
tomcattim

Thanks for the replies. He is gone until next week so I am compiling a list of things to try.

Tim

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Well as a last resort go to Internet Properties and click the advanced tab then click the reset button for internet explorer. That should put the browser back to default.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
I'd say pull up the task manager before he opens up internet explorer (ctrl +alt + delete  > task manager)   and then have it off to the side where you can view the processes tab.   There is a section towards the bottom that is in the grey (under the white box area that shows your processes)     keep an eye on the CPU useage when you open internet explorer.      3-5 minutes (literally) is excessive for a pc that is having absolutely no trouble.   I would venture you're IE is hanging up the system, and keeping an eye on the CPU useage would be a good way of finding that out
0 Likes