Fios upload speeds low; trouble "optimizing"
Ebola21

Ive spent about 4 hours on the phone and more hours off the phone trying to get this fixed, but I have 25/15 Verizon Fios and Im getting the 25mbps download perfectly, but my upload speeds are around 2-3mbps. I have a desktop with x64 Vista Ultimate, a laptop with XP, and a third desktop that has XP which I dont really use and I get the same upload speeds on all 3.

Vista machine:

I recently got fios at home before I moved out and had great upload speeds on the Vista machine (without optimizing it) and when I moved out and got fios at my apartment, the upload speeds have been low. The router has been replaced and I set up the new router with the Verizon software through my Vista machine and still got the same upload speeds. Tried the Vista hotfix (TcpAutoTuning), and did it manually in the registry first and then downloaded the "fix it for me" and still no results. Tried using the Verizon "optimize my computer" (was told that it wasnt for Vista, and then told by the same guy to do it) off their site and on the results page of speedtest.verizon I get the red X saying that my machine hasnt been optimized, however when I try to optimize it, it tells me that Ive already optimized my machine. I tried to use the "Service Checkup" program to see if that could fix the upload speeds and it wouldnt launch and I couldnt find the process running in "Task Manager."

Laptop + old desktop:

After not getting the upload speeds to work properly on the Vista machine I tried the laptop (XP and plugged in via ethernet), the internet explorer is being weird on it and I was having trouble getting the optimization software and other stuff. Im not as concerned with the laptop because the screen selectively works on it but wanted to at least get it set up correctly on one computer. I took the laptop home and hooked it up with an ethernet cable and got better upload speeds but still not what it was suppose to be, however when I got on a desktop at home and did the same test, the download/upload speeds were exactly where they were suppose to be.

I also tried it on my old desktop (XP) and went through the speedtest.verizon and did the optimization on it, and when I do the test now, it gives me the green check stating that it has been optimized and my service is working correctly, BUT I still have 2-3mbps upload. The "Service Checkup" software doesnt run on it because the old desktop has only 256mb ram; it requires at least 512mb and I dont have any DDR sticks sitting around :[

The Vista machine is my main computer so Id like to have the internet working correctly on that one first and foremost. At this point Id like to optimize all the settings manually (either through the computer, router, or both) because Im starting to lose faith in the downloaded automatic optimizers. Any help/direction is much appreciated. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Fios upload speeds low; trouble "optimizing"
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

I would like to offer some seeds to a solution, but first we need to clarify:  

As of the last time I checked, (june '09) no free 'optimizer' out there does anything for upload speeds EXCEPT the verizon optimizer (I am not getting paid to say this. Facts are facts.)  

HOWEVER, the Verizon Optimizer is known to be a waste of time for anything Vista, without the Microsoft Article ID#939006 patch(s) FIRST.  

Also, your experience in an apartment building quite probably would be different than the experience you get when not in an apartment, -->> for this reason:   Multi-Dwelling Units (MDU) and\or ADSL.   See, for each residentail unit in your building to receive it's own TRUE direct FiOS line, there would have to be a separate Optical Network Terminal (ONT) and all the associated wires and HOLES in the building for each ONT.  And the same scenario would occur on each building in the apartment complex.    Well, the owners of the buildings do not usually go for this because it is, in fact, somewhat destructive to the buildings, and since the nature of apartment living is more temporary than permanent, just because one renter uses Verizon FiOS, does not mean that his or her neighbor also uses it, NOR that the next renter in the same unit will use it;  SO the building owners usually opt for the easiest, less destructive-to-the-building route for allowing the renters to get broadband services, which is to have someone put in 1 MDU (maybe in the attick?) per building.   <<--That basically means that you are sharing your bandwidth.   ALSO, you may have ADSL to your MDU, and not a fiber optic line.   

SO, I would (a) find out what I have for service, which would give me a better indication of what I can expect, and (b) do the Microsoft patch first without applying the VZ optimizer, because the Vz optimizer, In Vista, may be counter productive.   Otherwize, seach for '64bit tcp\ip optimization' tips and tricks for maual directions.   

(Keep in mind that it may be a dangerous thing to manually [and otherwise, too] manipulate your registry settings, SO, its always a great idea to back-up your current registry before you change things.)

0 Likes
Ebola21

This is the only optimizer I used; the Verizon Fios Speed Optimizer:

http://www2.verizon.net/help/fios_settings/optimizer/

Ive already applied that patch manually by going into the registry, and also did it with the automatic "Fix It For Me" option. A verizon tech tried to do it as well from the "Show Me" application. 

I think it might have its own line because in the closet where the verizon ONT box (Motorola ONT1000JI to be specific) is, theres 2 seperate lines coming out of the floor; one goes directly into the box, and the other continues up through the ceiling to the apartment above (which is the only apartment above my level in a building where theres only 4 levels of apartments).

I will try to talk to maintence and see if they know if each apartment has its own line and try to find some other solutions.

0 Likes
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, just wanted to add my two cents on FIOS in an MDU.  I live in the City of Philadelphia (PA) in an MDU, and we do in fact have a very strange set up for FIOS here, but it seems to work.

FIOS TV is not available here at this time, so only Comcast comes over the coax lines. Therefore our FIOS Internet is delivered to us over the phone lines, ala DSL; however, it IS genuinely FIOS service and is as fast on both downloads and uploads as it is supposed to be. I think this may be partly due to the fact that many of  the building's residents are up in years and do not know how to use, let alone own, a computer. So almost no one in the building is taking advantage of the FIOS Internet service.

There are about 6 large Verizon computer boxes with thick cables going into them located in the basement of the building. I believe this is where the FIOS comes into the building.

One odd side effect of getting it over the phone lines is that I had to buy a computer noise filter for the line because I was getting constant "modem" type sounds on the line.

So for now I am glad to be in this MDU because FIOS is generally unavailable in this area.

As far as the original poster's problems with running Verizon's speed optimizer, I also could not run the optimizer and also could not run the speed check in Verizon's Service Checkup. I have Windows Vista Basic and as has been posted I was told by Verizon that Those programs would not work with Vista.

Message Edited by admkshr on 08-20-2009 07:38 PM
0 Likes
Ebola21

That is similar to my situation, when the Verizon guy was here setting it up, he first had trouble finding the Verizon feed because it was set up with Comcast previously, but that was only for the coax in the wall to send the feed from the Verizon box to the rest of the apartment. Also most the residents in my complex and building are also advanced in years and I think we might be one of the

only apartments using Fios (I think I saw some statistic somewhere that stated 10% of all Verizon customers use Fios anyways). I dont have issues with the phone because Im only getting internet and TV

Message Edited by Ebola21 on 08-20-2009 09:04 PM
0 Likes
admkshr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I only have one computer, a laptop. I am on the 20/5 plan but was only getting about 15/2, wireless. The problem was fixed when I used an Ethernet cable to make a wired connection, but I think you said in your post that you have already tried that with your laptop.

Last night, for an experiment, I uploaded a short video onto youtube. It only took about 40 mins.    When I had comcast a similar upload took 21/2 to 4 hours, so I am very pleased with that difference.

I noticed in my 20/5 package description they are careful to include the words UP TO before the 20/5, so I don't know legally how close to those speeds they are obligated to provide. I guess at least more than the next lowest package, or else I guess people would reluctantly downgrade to the lower package if all else failed.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have yet to find any PC registry settings that affect upload speeds.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

if anyone knows differently - feel free to post the registry entry here, so I can take a look at it,  but to address the OP's question, try MULTIPLE servers and verify that you are "in fact" getting bad uploads, vs just bad reports of uploads.

For example today if I go to speedtest.net and I try several servers I get wildly different test results, one of them does show me an abysmal 3400 upload, where the San diego (I'm in southern california) gives me the most accurate test result and one that is just shy of my subscribed speed.

or if you have a friend with an FTP server, or that can set up a free one, and has a pretty beefy fios connection, that is going to be your best test.     and then set up a file transfer, and watch the upload speed.   you likely will find that your upload speed is not in distress at all.

0 Likes
Ebola21

I was home last night and tried the speedtest on my little sisters laptop hooked up wirelessly and she was getting 21/21 on wireless. I couldnt believe it. 

Ive tried it on other servers on speedtest around me and got pretty much the same upload for them all. I also tried different sites that are similar to speedtest.

I think Im going to haul my desktop home and see what kind of upload speeds Im getting because if the desktop works fine at home, then Im a little more hesitant to say theres a problem with my computer.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

If one pc at the house is capable of getting over 20 mb up and down, then it's highly unlikely that it is anything to do with the fios network.   There have been a couple of threads, where it turned out the NIC was not compatible with the high speed, I'm just throwing that out there,  they too had slow speeds, and that person thought that they were "internet savvy" or "techy" and found after narrowing it down a bit further that it was there pc after all.   

Take it with a grain of salt, but I would be pretty confident if one pc (wireless no less) was able to get 20+mb  then the fios is capable and you just need to get your pc upto snuff.

0 Likes