FIOS upstream speed less than half of advertised
jbauer72

I currently have FIOS internet 20/20 service.  Around the 2nd week of august, my upstream speeds dropped to between 7-10mbps and have remained there.  Since then, I was sent a new router...no help.  Technician came out and using VZ supplied laptop experienced same results.  Different tech came out, saw same results, replaced ONT, saw same results.  Most recently the original installer came back out and while on phone with support was able to achieve 18/18.  acceptable right?  it would be if it worked for more than a couple hours.  Original installer was out yesterday (9/10/09) and left around 7pm.  At 6am today (9/11/09), my speeds were back to 18-19/7-10.  And this is from the Verizon speed test page.  It matters not which of the 3 areas I select.  Tracert shows ping times are all over the map, in triple digits.  All the technician and myself suspect theres something going on in the CO but can get noone to do anything but tell me to optimize my pc and get it going (once since 2nd week of aug) for a period of a few hours.  I am a tech guy and understand chasing intermittent issues, but this has gone too far.  I cant in good conscious recommend FIOS to any of my business clients because of this unresolved situation.  I have optimized and de-optimized my pc several times at the suggestion of either phone support talking to me or the technician on site.

I come here in hopes this may get some better attention.  I am in Florida in the Tampa market.

Test Sites:  Verizon FiOS page

speakeasy.net

speedtest.net

myspeed.visualware.com (suggested by phone support)

70.20.31.250/ndt (suggested by yet another phone tech)

0 Likes
Re: FIOS upstream speed less than half of advertised
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

JBauer72 what type of ONT  Motorola/ Tellabs/ Alcatel?

0 Likes
jbauer72

the replacement is an Alcatel...not sure what the original was.

thanks

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

The platform never changes so it would always be an Alcatel. What is the setup you have. Coming from the ONT are you Ethernet or MOCA & how many PC's do you have connected to our router & are they hard wired or wireless?

0 Likes
jbauer72

Coming from the ONT, the original setup was MOCA and I was getting proper speeds.  Once this issue started, the techs have connected via both MOCA and Ethernet.  The VZ techs have connected at the ONT both ways with the same results.

My setup when I do testing is one pc connected via wire to the router.

Thanks

0 Likes