fios wireless confusion. 2 independent questions.
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

sorry for being so naive.

i have fios 10 mb and they installed a wifi router 2 years ago.  i want to go "n",  does not give me the new actiontec rev f router then can i but a generic n router and REPLACE the fios router?

I am soo confused. can i not do that?

also i have a an av plug router and tried to install that to use the power lines as internet but I could not get my router to work with that. not compataile?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: fios wireless confusion. 2 independent questions.
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

During the initial configuration, do so using an ethernet cable attached directly to the router.   Once you get the router configured onto the address you select on the 192.168.1.x network (for instance, 192.168.1.254), you will connect the two routers together via the LAN ports as described and you'll be able to reach the FiOS router via 192.168.1.1 and the new router / access point at the new address (192.168.1.254).  Since you have the routers connected via the LAN ports, they are on the same network.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oncdoc wrote:

i have fios 10 mb and they installed a wifi router 2 years ago.  i want to go "n",  does not give me the new actiontec rev f router then can i but a generic n router and REPLACE the fios router?

Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Read the FAQ, options there.

If you have any questions that are not addressed in that FAQ, please ask.

@oncdoc wrote:

also i have a an av plug router and tried to install that to use the power lines as internet but I could not get my router to work with that. not compataile?

What is the brand and model of that av plug router (or other av plug device) ?

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oncdoc wrote:

sorry for being so naive.

Why do you want to go wireless-n?  It wwon't gain you much.

You can use your own wireless-n router but it may cause you issues with your tv sie.  Depends if you are using fios tv.

I don't know waht an av plug router is, can you explain more.  If you rea talking a router that uses a house's wiring network, then yes it will work, but bey default probably conflicts with the the VZ routre.  Need more details

oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for the replies. i dont have fios tv so that does not matter to me. SO i can use another router eh. ok, i will try

the av plug is zyxel nbg-318s

it converts av plugs to landline internet access.

so ditch the fios verizon router and use belkin or something else eh? ok.

0 Likes
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

u have to understand ur link is not newbie friendly. another language for me. sorry. thanks anyway friend.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

talking about power line ethernet? 

it's compatible but they are tricky to hook up because it has to be on the same circuit. 

if they aren't on the same circuit then the power line ethernet can't talk to one another.

so in your house, you know how if you loose power it can be in just one room, vs the whole house,  or one side of the house can go out vs the whole thing.    that is the deal with power line ethernet,  it has to be on the same ckt for it to work.   so they are tricky.    you basically buy them and cross your fingers.   if they work, they are great, if they don't - they can make you scratch your head a little.

if you told us what you were trying to accomplish, we could probably help you better.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So there are two options ...

1. If your router is connected on the WAN side via Ethernet, you could replace the ActionTec with another router of your choice.  This is not really recommended however if you have TV since the ActionTec assigns quality of service attributes to your TV set-top boxes so that they work properly in scenarios where you may be heavily loading your internet connection with other traffic.

2. The other option (if you have a Coax connection for the WAN side or even if you have ethernet as well), is to get a wireless-N router but just use it as an access point.  Belkin and Netgear both have models which I know can be put into "access point" mode (but even a router which won't do this can be used).   Login to your ActionTec router and turn OFF the wireless.  Login in to your new router and assign it a static IP address on the 192.168.1.x network (I recommend 192.168.1.254).  Turn OFF the DHCP server on the new router and configure the wireless connectivity to your liking.   Connect any LAN port of the new router to any LAN port on the ActionTec and you're all set (the WAN port is not used on the new router).  On the Belkin's and Netgear's when you put them in "access point" mode, the WAN port becomes another usable port.

Make sense?

I agree with other here that unless you have "local" servers or something on your network, moving to a Wireless-N configuration is really a waste of money unless your airspace is so crowded that you can't find a free channel in the Wireless-G range (2.4ghz) and you plan to buy a dual-band wireless-N router and use the 5.0ghz band.

MrTantrum
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't bother swapping routers.  Just purchase a wireless N WAP (starting around $40 from any major online retailer).  Installation is simple - just disble WiFi on the verizon router, connect the WAP to one of the LAN ports on the router, configure as needed.  Now you will have wireless N w/o having to change any networkin or, chaining/swapping out routers.

0 Likes
oncdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks I will try with a belkin router. How do i log into that router when Im logged into the fios router?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

During the initial configuration, do so using an ethernet cable attached directly to the router.   Once you get the router configured onto the address you select on the 192.168.1.x network (for instance, 192.168.1.254), you will connect the two routers together via the LAN ports as described and you'll be able to reach the FiOS router via 192.168.1.1 and the new router / access point at the new address (192.168.1.254).  Since you have the routers connected via the LAN ports, they are on the same network.

0 Likes