Fios wireless internet connection
SJRob

I have a Actiontec MI424WR router and originally was setup w/1 desktop lan connection and 1 laptop wireless connection.  .  The laptop has a built in wireless adapter but the tech used an adapter (ZyAir) to intially set it up.  We had a lot of trouble staying on the net wirelessly so I hardwired it to the router, we use it in the same room now.   I now have another laptop that I would like to setup wireless, it has a built in adapter also.   Tried to change setup on original laptop to go back wireless but am still having no luck even using it in the same room w/router.  Any ideas where I should begin??

0 Likes
Re: Fios wireless internet connection
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So the two questions are ...

1. Have you used the laptop with it's built-in wireless adapter on a wireless connection elsewhere without any problems?  Take it to somewhere which offers free Wi-Fi and see if it works without issue.  If not, the place to start looking is your laptop hardware.

2. Do you live in an area with lots of people who might have wireless routers?  You could be suffering from heavy interference. In general sitting in the same room as the router, you shouldn't have any problems making a connection.  What kind of wireless adapter is in your laptop?  B? G?

If you get a good connection when at a wi-fi hotspot, try going into the router and pulling up the wireless settings page and instead of using "auto" for the wireless channel, choose a channel.  Try each of the channels (starting with 1, 6, and 11) to see if one of them gives you a good connection.