FIOS with Google WiFi - ONT question
pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

I currently have FIOS TV/Internet/Phone with a Motorola ONT1000GJ4 and a G1100, and 100/100 service. I recently added a 3-puck Google Mesh Wifi to improve coverage, especially to the backyard. It works great, but with this setup, I'm unable to see documents from one PC to another - I have 3 or 4. Further research leads me to believe I must change the ONT connection from MOCA to ethernet, connected to the Google WAN, and run ethernet from the Google LAN to the G1100 WAN.

Anyway, I called Verizon to switch from MoCA to ethernet, and the rep told me I'd need to upgrade to 1G service. Is that really necessary? I'd like to avoid the tech visit and upcharge.

Thanks,

Pete

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: FIOS with Google WiFi - ONT question
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well, that explains a lot.

First of all, that link is full of flat out wrong information.  Fios does not use modems or modem/routers. Second, fios TV users can't put the Verizon router in bridge mode, as that interferes with the communications to the Verizon set-top-boxes.  Especially the latest models.  Third, DHCP releases when swapping routers haven't been required for many years.  Forth, a Netgear CM1000 is useless on fios, unless you want a high tech doorstop.  I could go on, but it's clear the author not understand fios nor has the article been updated to reflect current systems.  It should be completely ignored.

The way you have your network configured now can cause problems for the set-top-boxes.  You may find that the guide, DVR and remote access don't work properly or at all.  Some of this varies based on the model of set-top-box, but the newer boxes need the Verizon router to be primary and not in bridged mode.

Here's what you need to do for TV use:

• ONT Ethernet WAN port-> Ethernet Cable -> G1100 WAN port
  • G1100 LAN port -> Ethernet Cable -> Mesh network primary node
  • ONT Coax port -> coax network with set-top-boxes
  • G1100 Coax port -> coax network with set-top-boxes

The mesh network needs to be in access point mode to make both the G1100's LAN and the mesh network function as a single network.  If it's run in NAT router mode, devices will be able to reach the internet, but they won't be able to see each other.  Which is exactly the problem you have.

You need to figure out how to put the mesh network in access point mode.  If the Google devices you have can't be run in access point mode, you either need to put all the devices that need to see each other on the mesh network, or find another model or manufacturer of mesh networks.  There are many that will do this easily, including the model I mentioned earlier.  I'm using it with a G1100 as I type this.

Since you haven't fully defined the problem, here are my assumptions about your needs:

• fios internet service (speed not important)
  • fios TV service (maybe using the older set-top-boxes with clocks)
  • G1100's WiFi is not adequately covering the home, thus the attempt to add a mesh network
  • A mix of wired and wireless devices that need to access each other

If my assumptions are wrong, please correct, as the advice can change significantly for different use cases.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The issue has nothing to do with the WAN link from the ONT to the G1100.  Since you have TV service, you'll need to keep the G1100 as the primary router and it needs to stay connected to coax to provide MoCA LAN service to the Verizon set-top-boxes (unless you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes.)

You can use Ethernet WAN between the ONT and the G1100 regardless of provisioned speed.  Verizon may have thought you were asking them to send a tech to run the Ethernet cable, which likely triggered them to suggest a 1G upgrade.  Instead, run the Ethernet cable yourself then contact them via chat, not phone.  Ask them to provision the ONT for Ethernet WAN instead of coax, and they will do it while you wait at no charge.  If the normal chat folk seem confused by this request, tweet @verizonsupport to reach the social media support team.

As to the problem with your mesh system, provide some more details.  Are you running the Google Mesh in AP mode?

For reference, I have three TP-Link mesh nodes in AP mode behind my G1100.  All are wired via Ethernet to the G1100's LAN.  I've no problems sharing documents or seeing computers regardless of how they attach to my LAN (Ethernet, G1100 WiFi, TP-Link WiFi.)  My guess is there a setting in your Google system that needs to be adjusted, but it will be helpful to know how they are connected to the G1100.

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll try the chat.

As for the AP mode question, the wired Google device is in "NAT (standard) mode", the other two are in Bridge mode.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The problem is most likley "NAT (standard mode)."   That creates a separate network for the devices attached to the Google mesh.  They will have difficulty reaching devices on the main network, and devices on the main network cannot reach devices on the Google mesh.

Put the in Access Point mode (or whatever Google calls it), and your problems should be solved.

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Google Home app indicates that wifi setting are automatically set, and I don't see an option to change the settings,

Additionally, the associated notes say:

Do Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi support bridge mode?

Yes, but bridge mode will only work if you're using a single Wifi device. If you want to create a mesh network with multiple devices, your router or primary Wifi point cannot be in bridge mode.

Not sure what to do next.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm not overly familiar with Google & Linksys home mesh systems, so this question might seem odd. Can the two remote units be switched to Bridge Mode while the main unit remains as is?

I'm thinking of how I set up my church's Internet network.

We have Comcast and the Network Terminal is in the basement telecom closet. Scattered around the building are various Linksys WIFI routers. Most are operating in Bridge Mode so computers, tablets and smartphones can print to either of our printers from anywhere in the building.

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

The two remote (unwired) devices are already in Bridge mode.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@pfdg3 wrote:

Additionally, the associated notes say:

Do Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi support bridge mode?

Yes, but bridge mode will only work if you're using a single Wifi device. If you want to create a mesh network with multiple devices, your router or primary Wifi point cannot be in bridge mode.

It looks like we have reached a dead end. In order for your devices connected to the Google to access files on the primary network, the Google device has to be in bridge mode. If you want to create a mesh network, then you cannot put the Google into bridge mode. It seems being able to access file across computers connected to primary and Google networks and having a mesh network is mutually exclusive.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's the double NAT that's creating your networking issues.  If the Google mesh system doesn't support running in an access point mode AND creating a mesh network, then you need to get another system.

I use a three-node TP-Link Deco M9+ mesh system behind my G1100.  It supports running in access point mode and creates a mesh network.  WiFi coverage is great everywhere in my home and all the devices can see each other regardless of how they reach the G1100.

There are likely other brands of mesh systems that can do this.  Quite frankly, I'm surprised that the Google system doesn't support it.  Maybe do some more "googling" about your Google mesh system and see if a solution exists.  Or maybe Google decided that they only want to support use cases where their router is the primary node in the system.

pfdg31
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon support via Twitter was able to change my ONT connection from coax to ethernet, and now all is good. Great connectivity and I can see the various PCs on my network.

0 Likes