First time user Fios G1100 needs to convert "large home cameraset-up" from Dlink router.
outsider1

Hi and thanks for reading,

I have a 20 camera home security set-up using a DLINK router and a non standard IP addressing setup.

I set up the DLINK with the cams on 192.168.7.100 to less than 7.254 (static, naturaly) and forwarded the 20 ports out and open on/to the net for remote monitoring.

I been running this way for almost 10 years but the old DLINK router can't do n or ac and is getting erratic on g...

Now Verizon wanted my old Actiontec router back and gave me the  G1100.

I need to figure out  where (in the G1100 menu tree) re-set it to 192.168.7.1 - 192.168.7.254 (as opposed to the 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 default.) Then I need to open these 20 ports up on the G1100.

OK, I feel stupid for not being able to use my memory of setting up the DLINK router and getting it off its same default of "1.1 - 1.254" range up to the "x.1 - x.254" range. The G1100 menu tree is very confusing to me.

If I can make the switch, none of the cameras will need to be touched.

Will someone please help me with this?

"outsider" looking in.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: First time user Fios G1100 needs to convert "large home cameraset-up" from Dlink route
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This can definitely be done. Heres a walk through. Its pretty easy, just a matter of following all the buttons in the router.

Firstly, log into the G1100 web interface.

1. Click the "My Network" button at the top of the page.
  2. Click "Network Connections" from the side menu.
  3. Click Network (Home/Office) under the Network Connections list.image
  4. Click the grey Settings button at the bottom of the page.
  5. Locate where the IP Address: option is, and change it from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.7.1.image
  6. Now, scroll the page further until you see the IP Address Distribution section.
    Change the Start IP address to 192.168.7.2, and the End IP address to 192.168.7.99. This will ensure you don't have devices on your network getting IP addresses in those ranges to interfere with the cameras. 
  7. Finally, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the grey Apply button.

Now, wait a minute and re-connect your computer to the network. All deivces will now be in the 192.168.7.x subnet. 

When you say you need to "open the ports" to the cameras, how is your camera system setup? Do you have a central DVR system that records from all the cameras, or is each individual camera running independently?

Just be sure not to open each individual camera up to the Internet unless its necessary, for security. 

Regardless, this is how you would open up the ports to the camera.

1. Click the "Firewall" button on the top navbar.
  2. Click Yes when asked if you wish to proceed.
  3. Click Port Forwarding on the left navbar.
    You will now see menu options. 
    1. Choose from the first drop-down menu "Specify IP". Enter the IP of the camera you want to port forward in the dialog box.
    2. Choose from the second drop-down menu "Custom Ports". Enter the port you wish to forward in the dialog box.
    3. Click the Add button.
    4. Click the Apply button to save all your changes after you've added your rules.
    5. Optional, check online if the port was forwarded correctly. Go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/, and enter your camera port number, then click "Check Port". It should return with "Success".

Please post back if you run into any issues! 

View solution in original post

Re: First time user Fios G1100 needs to convert "large home cameraset-up" from Dlink route
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

This can definitely be done. Heres a walk through. Its pretty easy, just a matter of following all the buttons in the router.

Firstly, log into the G1100 web interface.

1. Click the "My Network" button at the top of the page.
  2. Click "Network Connections" from the side menu.
  3. Click Network (Home/Office) under the Network Connections list.image
  4. Click the grey Settings button at the bottom of the page.
  5. Locate where the IP Address: option is, and change it from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.7.1.image
  6. Now, scroll the page further until you see the IP Address Distribution section.
    Change the Start IP address to 192.168.7.2, and the End IP address to 192.168.7.99. This will ensure you don't have devices on your network getting IP addresses in those ranges to interfere with the cameras. 
  7. Finally, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the grey Apply button.

Now, wait a minute and re-connect your computer to the network. All deivces will now be in the 192.168.7.x subnet. 

When you say you need to "open the ports" to the cameras, how is your camera system setup? Do you have a central DVR system that records from all the cameras, or is each individual camera running independently?

Just be sure not to open each individual camera up to the Internet unless its necessary, for security. 

Regardless, this is how you would open up the ports to the camera.

1. Click the "Firewall" button on the top navbar.
  2. Click Yes when asked if you wish to proceed.
  3. Click Port Forwarding on the left navbar.
    You will now see menu options. 
    1. Choose from the first drop-down menu "Specify IP". Enter the IP of the camera you want to port forward in the dialog box.
    2. Choose from the second drop-down menu "Custom Ports". Enter the port you wish to forward in the dialog box.
    3. Click the Add button.
    4. Click the Apply button to save all your changes after you've added your rules.
    5. Optional, check online if the port was forwarded correctly. Go to http://www.canyouseeme.org/, and enter your camera port number, then click "Check Port". It should return with "Success".

Please post back if you run into any issues!