Forced to "upgrade" for more $$$ and now my FIOS speed is crippled.
jayh
Enthusiast - Level 1

On Wednesday of this week, I was happily using my FIOS 20/5 service with no problems when I realized my annual agreement for the TV/Internet package was about to expire so I proactively called Verizon to renew for another year of service.

The agent told me that Verizon no longer offers 20/5 and 25/25 is now the least expensive option that I can choose, resulting in approximately $15 extra per month on my bill. I implored the agent to continue my service at 20/5 for the same price but she was firm with the fact that it was no longer available. Needless to say I was frustrated with the result but realized that I was not going to get anywhere so I accepted the new, more expensive package.

I was told the upgrade would happen sometime over night and that the new package would be in place by Thursday morning. On a hunch (and also because previous package upgrades have been bumpy) I went to www.speedtest.net and got a result of 19.58 down and 4.40 up - exactly what I would expect with a little bit of overhead for network operations.

So Thursday morning arrives and I decide to check the speed to verify everything is in place and the first result comes back as 9.95 down and 12.25 up. Hmmm, obviously something changed because the upload speed is now more than double what I had with the previous package but curiously, the download speed is only HALF of what I got with the previous package (the one that's no longer offered). So I call Verizon to begin the quest for an answer.

First level tech support is of no help. He goes through the standard list rebooting of the router (no change) rebooting the ONT (no change) sending new signals to the router and ONT (no change) and finally escalates the ticket to the next level and tells me that I'll get a call back within 8 hours. Frustrated with this outcome, I try a different avenue for support (the original sales agent) and end up back with first line tech support who informs me that the first tech support guys was wrong and I will get a call back within 24 hours!!! Great, just great.

Finally get a call back today from 2nd level support and after punching keys for a few minutes, this guy insists everything is correct on the Verizon systems and there must be something wrong with my equipment. I explain to him that I was having no problem getting 20/5 service and NOTHING has changed on my end so how could my equipment be responsible for the speed loss? His only response it to reiterate that everything is correct on his side and all he can do is send out a tech to my house to run test and prove to me that I'm getting the speeds that have been allocated.

Great, now I've wasted all this time AND I have to waste MORE time on Monday waiting for a tech to arrive (who will almost certainly arrive in the last 30 minutes of the 4-hour window). This is almost the exact same scenario that happened the last time I was upgraded to a faster package. I don't recall exactly how it got resolved but I do remember a tech coming to my house only to find that (shockingly) my router wasn't receiving the speeds is was supposed to be getting and that, indeed, the problem was somewhere in the spaghetti and duct-tape of the Verizon FIOS network.

Multiple tests throughout this period (both at speedtest.net and speedtest.verizon.net) continue to average around 8 down and 11 up on my connection.

Anyway - I'm sure this will drag on and on and I will continue to be a dissatisfied Verizon customer. I just wonder why Verizon can't get it right when it comes to customer service. More over, I wonder why I keep giving them my money.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Forced to "upgrade" for more $$$ and now my FIOS speed is crippled.
jayh
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE

Here is a copy of the Private Mesage that I just sent to Brett:

Brett,

Verizon Tech *** ******* left a few minutes ago. after confirming expected speeds at the ONT and checking a number of things he finally replaced the old ActionTec router with a new one that seems to have fixed the problem. I am consistently getting at least 25 Down and about 12-15 Up on all Veriszon speet test regions as well as non-verizon speed test sites.

Thanks for your assistance in trying to get this fixed.

Have a great week.

Jay

So my new upgraded service is finally working and I appreciate all that FIOS Tech Support did to get things right.

However, I am still upset with Verizon for making me upgrade to a faster package with higher costs simply because the package I had been on was "no longer offered". With the state of the economy, it's not appreciated when a company makes you pay more for something you don't want (and then cause you headaches as a result).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
VZ_Brett
Contributor - Level 2

Jayh. understand your frustration! Why dont you private message me your info so we can take a look into it for you. Thanks Brett

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

This is not a criticism or any way directed at you. Smiley Wink and I'm sorry your having a problem. It will be corrected one way or another. These fios techs are good at what they do.

Remember that ALL new technology is run by computers and there is no one going down and physically checking every system between you and them. They sit at a computer and run tests. Their computer says you have 25/25, they check the signal being sent to you and it confirms that you have 25/25, So as far as they can see, you are getting 25/25. So they have to send a field tech out that is able to start testing from your end and start going backwards from there, isolating equipment. And as often as those routers fail, you cant blame them for thinking it is an equipment failure. They are playing the odds. Even though they told you they thought it was your equipment, that is just what they tell you. They likely suspect the same thing as you becasue if they really thought it was your router, they wouldnt bother sending you a tech. They would just ship you a new router. A lot cheaper that way. No they are sending you a tech so that suggests that even they dont believe it is equipment on your end. They just have to start isolating and it needs to be started at your end. So they will bypass the router, try the ethernet port on the ONT. Once the see that the speeds are not making it to the ONT, they will then check the jumper at the distribution hub, then check the pon card at the central office, until they either find the problem or at least isolate it to one of there computer systems. Then they will be able to fix it.

Remember that as of July of this year, they have over 3.5 million fios internet customers. If they really were that bad, they would no longer be in business. This forum for the most part only has the people that are having issues. What we dont see are the millions of people that are not having any problems. While a few of us that dont have problems (or at least major ones) come here to help out, all anyone see's when comming here are problems. So it gives the false inpression that there is nothing but problems with fios. I've got friends that were some of the first to ever get fios when it first came out in texas, and have never once even had a hiccup.

Given a chance, most of those tech guys will come though in the end, but remember, we and they are only human Smiley Wink

Paying for Fios 20/20 and very poor uploads with hopeless tech support
karas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am actually very disappointed in the Verizon tech support.  I am in IT and work from home.  Connectivity is critical to me.  I use very current equipment.  The latest I have is a motherboard using an Intel i7 920 CPU with lots of RAM.    Subscribed to 20/20 over a year ago.  Down is fine.  Up is very bad, including uploads to the Verizon on-line 'drive'.  Tests using common speedtests are usually at about 1/3 of it.  Uploads slow down to a crawl after a while.  Among other things I use Amazon S3 for backups.  This is top level service.  Right now I am uploading a number of files that started going at over 10Mbps about an hour ago, but now they are uploading at 772Kbps.  Yes, kbps.

Over the last few months talked to tech support several times and they always follow the same script and even with somebody that knows something about this stuff, most of the Verizon techs offer little respect.  Yes, they did replace few months ago the garage unit, but that did not resolve the speed issue.  Verizon charges for a service they have been unable to deliver.  They have not provided the support the resolve it either.

THUMBS DOWN!!

Couple weeks ago a Comcast sales rep visited our neighborhood and maybe it is time to start thinking about a switch.

Again .... Verizon Fios 20/20 plan  .... THUMBS DOWN!!

0 Likes
Re: Paying for Fios 20/20 and very poor uploads with hopeless tech support
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Speed issues are tickey things. I've never had an issue with my speeds. I've had other minor problems but never with speed. Also remember that speeds are two way streets, you AND where you are going. Just because you are only seeing 700k right now does not necessarily mean the problem is on your or Verizons end. It could be a problem on the location that you are sending the info to. If you are continueing to have problem just call them back. They WILL get you working. Just have to give them a chance to eliminate everything.

0 Likes
karas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completely understand the issue of various destinations.  I tested upload speeds to multiple speedtest sites, Verizon's east coast speedtest site, and to Amazon S3, Verizon online disk and my webhost via ftp.  How about that?  Never get anywhere close to the speed I am paying for.  I will be happy if I would get regularly over 15Mbps. 

Believe me.  I tried many times.  Last time (Tuesday) I asked for a call from a supervisor.  Still waiting.

0 Likes
karas
Enthusiast - Level 2

We did get an automated message from Verizon that support will call back.  Wow.  I guess somebody read my post.  I assume ...  Thank you!  I look forward to the call.

0 Likes
jayh
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE

Here is a copy of the Private Mesage that I just sent to Brett:

Brett,

Verizon Tech *** ******* left a few minutes ago. after confirming expected speeds at the ONT and checking a number of things he finally replaced the old ActionTec router with a new one that seems to have fixed the problem. I am consistently getting at least 25 Down and about 12-15 Up on all Veriszon speet test regions as well as non-verizon speed test sites.

Thanks for your assistance in trying to get this fixed.

Have a great week.

Jay

So my new upgraded service is finally working and I appreciate all that FIOS Tech Support did to get things right.

However, I am still upset with Verizon for making me upgrade to a faster package with higher costs simply because the package I had been on was "no longer offered". With the state of the economy, it's not appreciated when a company makes you pay more for something you don't want (and then cause you headaches as a result).

0 Likes
DrunkenMick

@karas wrote:

I am actually very disappointed in the Verizon tech support.  I am in IT and work from home.  Connectivity is critical to me.  I use very current equipment.  The latest I have is a motherboard using an Intel i7 920 CPU with lots of RAM.    Subscribed to 20/20 over a year ago.  Down is fine.  Up is very bad, including uploads to the Verizon on-line 'drive'.  Tests using common speedtests are usually at about 1/3 of it.  Uploads slow down to a crawl after a while.  Among other things I use Amazon S3 for backups.  This is top level service.  Right now I am uploading a number of files that started going at over 10Mbps about an hour ago, but now they are uploading at 772Kbps.  Yes, kbps.

Over the last few months talked to tech support several times and they always follow the same script and even with somebody that knows something about this stuff, most of the Verizon techs offer little respect.  Yes, they did replace few months ago the garage unit, but that did not resolve the speed issue.  Verizon charges for a service they have been unable to deliver.  They have not provided the support the resolve it either.

THUMBS DOWN!!

Couple weeks ago a Comcast sales rep visited our neighborhood and maybe it is time to start thinking about a switch.

Again .... Verizon Fios 20/20 plan  .... THUMBS DOWN!!

{please keep it relevant}

Are you cabled or wireless?

0 Likes
AJerrold
Enthusiast - Level 1

JayH wrote:

"However, I am still upset with Verizon for making me upgrade to a faster package with higher costs simply because the package I had been on was "no longer offered". With the state of the economy, it's not appreciated when a company makes you pay more for something you don't want (and then cause you headaches as a result)."

Hear, hear!  What is with the constant "upsells"?  A similar scenario: Verizon offers "packages" with come-on pricing which, when you actually investigate the offerings, is a mirage - you cannot actually get the package at the advertised price, because you must additionally buy another widget that isn't included in the advert.  Argh! 

I am having a similar problem with Comcast.  These cable/internet/phone companies have us right where they want us.  They know that it's a enormous hassle to switch, so they find ways to squeeze out more revenue from us for stuff we DO NOT WANT.  You were perfectly happy with your original service, the decent thing (if indeed it is true that that plan is not / cannot be perpetuated) would have been to provide you with the "upgraded" service (that you did not request) at the same price you had been paying.  Why do we never see scenarios like that play out?  Why are so-called service reps not empowered to deliver service in a way that keeps customers happy?

It's rhetorical...