Forwarding just stopped working
hysonmb
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have ports 80 and 443 forwarded through my Actiontec router. Until last week, everything worked fine. Suddenly, port 80 stopped sending traffic to the host that I have configured but 443 still works without a problem. Both ports are forwarded to the same host. If I turn off forwarding, hitting it on 80 takes me to the authentication page of the router so I know I have my DNS set up properly. Once I turn forwarding back on, it fails to go anywhere. If I enter the IP of the host in my browser, it goes to the page I expect to see so I know the host is properly configured. Is there anything that I'm missing that would cause traffic on 80 to not make it to the right host?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Forwarding just stopped working
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hysonmb wrote:

I have ports 80 and 443 forwarded through my Actiontec router. Until last week, everything worked fine. Suddenly, port 80 stopped sending traffic to the host that I have configured but 443 still works without a problem. Both ports are forwarded to the same host. If I turn off forwarding, hitting it on 80 takes me to the authentication page of the router so I know I have my DNS set up properly. Once I turn forwarding back on, it fails to go anywhere. If I enter the IP of the host in my browser, it goes to the page I expect to see so I know the host is properly configured. Is there anything that I'm missing that would cause traffic on 80 to not make it to the right host?

The ip address of the host in your port forwarding rule changed.

The IP address you selected for the host is in the router's dhcp range and the router has assigned the address to another device.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hysonmb wrote:

The ip address of the host in your port forwarding rule changed.

The IP address you selected for the host is in the router's dhcp range and the router has assigned the address to another device.

hysonmb
Enthusiast - Level 1

amazing, It's always the easy thing that gets missed in troubleshooting Smiley Sad. When the problem started, I had everything set up correctly. Before I posted this, I did a factory restore of the router. That caused my DHCP scopes to reset and my host with a static IP of .2 became in scope again. I typically have my DHCP range set in the .100 or .200 range and just didn't redo it after the factory restore. I fixed it and voila, all is well again. Thanks for the post!

0 Likes