Re: four hours on the phone and 1 tech visit and still getting less than 10/2 when I orded 15/5 FIOS
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know I have a Westell modem, but that's about all I know about that. Sad thing is, the tech who showed up, though a nice guy, didn't know that type of information.

But having the Westell, I guess that modem at least can handle what I'm looking for.

But I still insist that as a simple consumer, Verizon needs to be able to simply be able to state to me the max that they can sell me (in all honesty) and deliver the service I choose. I shouldn't need to know anything else. The fact that Verizon seems to have a problem doing so and that their staff isn't empowered to help, is disconcerning.

Re: four hours on the phone and 1 tech visit and still getting less than 10/2 when I orded 15/5 FIOS
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

It says I have 10/2. But, when I call to up to 15/5 they tell me I already have 15/5 so they can't do it. But I have a Westell modem, so I should be able to.

CONFUSED!

0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

It is a condo and it is my HOA that asked FIOS to run fiber into each unit. It was FIOS who ran orange tubes up the back stairwell, stopped work on it and didn't show up for a long time, and then installed VDSL while telling us we were getting FIOS.

VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

Hi mediseth,

Sorry for the confusion about your service speeds. I can check what speed you have and what speeds you are eligible for. Please fill out the form at this secure link: https://www22.verizon.com/content/verizonsupport/. Please include the name, address and phone # attached to the account. Thanks.

Regards,

0 Likes
VZ_Kim
Contributor - Level 2

mediaseth, I have your information. Your account says you are definitely provisioned for 10/2. I need to speak to our orders department to find out the max speed attainable, as well as why we haven't been able to  upgrade your speed. I will contact you on Monday once i've had time to speak to them. Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Followup:

Kim, I did as you said and will wait for a response. I also called tech and then sales again because I still had 10/2 on my account and it was at least supposed to SAY 15/5.

Tech couldn't help. Sales only offered to sell me an upgrade (big surprise), and I asked if she knew it would work, and she said "No." i asked, how can you sell something if you don't know if it will work? She said she had no answer.

On a whim, since I'll drop the service if I can't increase speed anyway, I took her offer to upgrade to 25/25. I was told it would be working in an hour or so.

It's hours later, and my "my verizon" account still says I have 10/2.

I think you know what I'll decide to do next. And I thought I hated cable.

Frankly, I think I deserve compensation for all the hours of time I had to waste on the issue and the incompetent runarounds from Verizon phone staffers who are not empowered properly to help customers.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
If that order is in the system the tech support can probably push the order so it goes through 100% and then just make sure to optimize your pc before testing. Either use the verizon in home agent to optimize or google the fios speed optimizer
0 Likes
mediaseth
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for your response, but I'm skeptical of any kind of software driven "speed optimizer." It sounds like one of those things people would warn you against downloading. My browsers are fine and there's nothing running in the background that should be slowing me down or taking up bandwidth..that I don't already know about, at least. if I know how it works, I'll be more likely to use it.

I don't understand what "Push through 100%" means. You're either signed up for one speed or another, right? The sales woman did ask me to hold while she "Made sure it was going through" and told me that she was told it would work properly within an hour or so. That was around 3:30pm.

I have the home agent installed but haven't used it. I always thought an ISP should be just that - an ISP. I'll handle the rest without training wheels. The "pipes" just need to work.

But as long as my account has be down for 10/2 in the tech computer system, the techs can't really help me with speeds any faster. That's where I hope Kim can help on Monday, but it shouldn't take this kind of escalation and specal assistance. I should be able to reach someone by phone with the knowledge and power to take care of the issue or send a tech who actually knows how to diagnose any issues if necessary. And it shouldn't take as many hours or days as it has so far. It's completely ridiculous. I wish I kept a proper log of it all.

So, I'm usually not as irate, but i think you'll understand my level of frustration, because I've been paying for a somewhat malfunctioning version of this service since the summer..july, I think.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What I mean by push through is that if they put the order in the system and it hasn't yet been completed then the order could be stuck. A tech can see if the order is completed and if its not, they can often times push it to completion. The optimizer may or may not be neccessary. Its registry entries that if you were to go to speedguide.net would see what registry entries affect download and more importantly upload speeds. Many users can't get proper speeds without it. The in home agent is just one of the ways to get it or you can google it. Registry optimizers for speeds are commonplace (Mac has a Broadband Tuner, DSLreports has a DR TCPIP, and Speedguide.net also offer broadband tuners) for broadband connections but again not everyone needs them. You won't know personally until you begin testing as your pc has never seen speeds above 10mb.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

What is ment as push through 100%. The order system is not instant. Billing or sales puts the order in the system, and then it must be provisioned. The tech people put the orderes through as they get them. If they get a call or information that a customer is waiting, them they may go straight to that order and push it though before others. It may happen quilckly if they know the customer has been having problems. It is a shame you have had this issue since July. We are customers just like you. This is a peer to peer support group and some of us that have been around a while, can help contact people that can move things along. Tech support can only activate what is listed on your account.

If you have ordered 25/25 and it does not work once provisioned, then yes you should insist it gets fixed. Verizon will not leave you hanging. If you get tech support and they say you have a service you don't then you should escalate it to a manager.

The optimizer sets your TCP protocol stack to operate better with the high bandwidth FiOS can provide. No tricks, no smoke and mirrors.