Fraudulent Advertising?
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I have been paying for an internet speed of 50/25 for over a year.  I have never gotten those speeds.  My tests usually come up with 18/18 or the upload speed is higher than download. I have called tech support many times and received all kinds of excuses. Not close enough to router, etc. and I have tried next to the router--no difference.  Then they said to use the ethernet line directly. Well, what is the point of wireless if all you can get is 18 tops?

So today I received an email from Verizon trying to get me to buy a new router. This is copied directly from the email:

"If your router is getting older, it’s probably time to switch to the FiOS™ Advanced Wi-Fi Router. Older routers have one antenna and can only deliver wireless speeds up to 25 Mbps." 

Either the ad is lying in order to get you to buy a new router or they have been overcharging everyone with an old one antenna router who pays for 50/25.  Anyone else receive this and have same situation? 

0 Likes
Re: Fraudulent Advertising?
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Like it or not, advertised speeds are for wired.

FIOS has no control over the capabilities  of the device that you purchased and connected to wifi.  If you picked a device with poor wifi capabilities, the issue is with that device, not FIOS.  Same with your environment, if you have cheap cordless phones, metal supports in walls etc that can cause issues with wifi. They didn't build your house or pick all the electronics in it.  

Having said that there are plenty of tips on this forum on how to improve wifi speeds.   Search is your friend.  I'd start with:  http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

I understand what you are saying regarding the speeds. I did not choose my router. FIOs installed it when I got FIOs in 2007. When I was "upgraded" from 25/15 to 50/25--nobody ever mentioned that you cannot get wireless speeds over 25 ever, which is what I was just now told by tech support.  She said that even if I upgrade the router, the highest speed you can get is 25.  Not only was I not told this when I upgraded, but I have called FIOs tech support at least 10 times over the last two years and NOBODY ever told me that router is not capable of ever doing over 25 with wireless.  They just told me to try a million different things which I did and it never changed.

The other thing I do not understand is why my upload speed is higher than my download speed.  Logically, if both upload and download is slower due to the computer or million different things that affect speed, why is the upload speed unaffected?

When I called tech support I was also told that the old (first gen) router I have does not support the package they sold me, and yet nobody in all this time mentioned that to me while I've been paying $45 per month for 50/25.  Isn't there something not right about that?  How many others are also paying for a package their router does not support?  I was told I can upgrade the router, which I would rather not do because it works. I have phones, Chromecasts all hooked up and working and the remote connection to my computer and phones works (this took a year to make happen correctly).  I am especially worried about hooking up the Chromecasts with a newer router as people seem to have had a lot of problems with the newer routers and Chromecast. Mine worked right off the bat.  I would be happy to keep the lower 25/15, but they no longer have that offer.  So I can pay for the 50 I am not getting or downgrade for $10 to 15/5 and it will be as fast as dial-up.  This situation just seems like a no win rip-off.

0 Likes
TonyRS

This is completely fraudulent.  

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

This is a bit of head scratcher.  Bottom line, you now don’t want the router you should have gotten a year ago and want something that no longer exists, the 25 plan.  The problem you have is a year went by.  Sounds like they messed up, but you should have checked your speeds and called FIOS with your issue when you upgraded a year ago.  You really don't have a leg to stand on if a year has gone by.  30 days is the usual de facto warranty period for things like this.

While I would dispute that the current Rev I router maxes out at 25 (people on this forum state low 30s),  unless they give it to you for free, I’d go buy my own router anyway.  For $100 you can get something that is way better than FIOS will send you in terms of speed and range.  I have an older Asus that we get in the low 40s connected via wifi on a 50 plan.  Very unlikely you will ever get the full 50 and I doubt you ever got close to 25 over wifi with your 2007 router on the 25 plan.

FIOS offers a 15 plan still, you could downgrade to that possibly and also use that as leverage to get a free Rev I router for staying at 50.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

You know--I went back and looked at when I upgraded to 50/25 and it was actually almost 3 years ago.  But that does not change the issue, and I now remember the day they upgraded me and the speed was exactly the same for both the wireless laptop and the hardwired PC--we did not notice a change at with the upgrade. And I just find it odd that all of the times I called, nobody in tech support ever mentioned the router--only where the computer is, etc. What bothers me about this is that (1) I am very proactive when it comes to my services and charges--I really stay on top of things, so I do not think I ever misunderstood anything tech support ever told me--it is just that nobody ever told me my router should be replaced or that my speed had anything to do with the router and (2) I am fairly good with technology so it is not like I'm a total dummy. But when tech support tells me I am getting the highest speeds I can--I assumed it was because of other reasons then the router.

Lately I have been getting these promos to upgrade to 75, but until I received today's email, there was nothing in the promos indicating I could not get that speed because of the router.  I think Verizon is becoming huge and making a ton of money (and will make even more after yesterday's Net Neutrality ruling) but they are not investing in customer service or tech support. You can actually now pay $15 more per month and get premium tech support 24/7.  So does that mean we are getting worse tech support if we do not pay for premium? I was on hold for 45 minutes to talk to anyone today even when I was transferred. Three hours on the phone total. 

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

I'll agree ISP support is terrible, though most are worse than FIOS. They treat you as a commodity, so do the same to them.  Their support stinks, so why buy anything more than what you have to.

My advice to everyone is view your ISP's internet as a pipe coming into your house.  Don't use anything in terms of their equipment beyond what is needed to get wired internet working.  Get your own router and do it yourself.  If you don't know how to, research, get a friend, or hire someone, it will be well worth it.  The equipment ISPs ship is overpriced and underperforms.  Besides as you've pointed out their support stinks, so the only time you call them is when you absolutely have to....i.e. the internet on a wired connection is not meeting their committed levels.  

I would extend that to don't use your ISPs email, any AV products, speed up tools etc etc.  There are better options for free that you will never lose because you are switching ISPs.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Suzanne7777 wrote:

Lately I have been getting these promos to upgrade to 75, but until I received today's email, there was nothing in the promos indicating I could not get that speed because of the router.  

There is nothing in the promos because they only guarantee that speed for wired connections.  If you don't get that speed with a wired connection then you have a legitimate complaint.

If you upgraded to a tier that is 100 or more then they automatically will supply a new router and also change the ont-router connection to ethernet otherwise they would not be able to achieve those speeds on wired connections.

0 Likes
Suzanne7777
Contributor - Level 1

If you upgrade to 75 and have a first gen router like mine--it will not get that speed wired or not, according to tech support (although the woman I spoke with could be wrong). The promo was pushing a new router for $100.  My router was free when I got it as Verizon had a huge push for customers at the time.  Also, I can get 30 with the hard wired PC, but Verizon said it is the computer OS.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Suzanne7777 wrote:

If you upgrade to 75 and have a first gen router like mine--it will not get that speed wired or not, according to tech support (although the woman I spoke with could be wrong). The promo was pushing a new router for $100.  My router was free when I got it as Verizon had a huge push for customers at the time.  Also, I can get 30 with the hard wired PC, but Verizon said it is the computer OS.

Should have no trouble wired, but obviously will have trouble wireless.  If its a Windows Xp you should run Verizon Optimizer.  Other tuning may be available to help you get better speed.

Don't forget to check for an updated driver for your ethernet connection.

0 Likes