Frustration with Fios-one week after installation
mshuf

I got Fios installed last week and certain apps on my phone won't work when connected to Wifi. If I turn wifi off, apps work fine. Apps in question: ESPN, Twitter. Verizon techs can't seem to help.

0 Likes
Re: Frustration with Fios-one week after installation
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some questions to start the ball rolling 🙂:

What specifically happens when attempting to connect via Wi-Fi?

Can their respective websites be accessed via Wi-Fi?

Android or iOS?

Do the apps work over an Ethernet connection?

Do the apps work via Wi-Fi if connected to a different access point?

Can other people bring their device(s) and try to utilize those same apps at your location?

mshuf

Thanks for your questions.

When phone is connected to wifi, apps such as ESPN, weather channel and Twitter will just spin and spin. They will never load. I switch off wifi to mobile data and they load right up. It's Samsung s10 phone. IPad has no issues. Fire tv has same issues with espn app and some others. Youtube works perfectly fine on all devices.

Yes, desktop version of sites load properly from browser.

Apps work over ethernet connection in the case of fire tv.

Yes, at work I connect to wifi network and apps work on phone. They have worked for 2 years on any wifi network except this new one starting the day fios was installed. Came from altice and had no problems. Had no problem with fios at old apartment 3 years ago.

I will see about getting another android user to try network but my wife's iPhone works perfectly fine. Thanks again!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hmm....🤔

The first section: when the smartphone is connected to WiFi, when the apps are tapped, they never open, but if WiFi is deactivated and the phone is connected to mobile data, when the same apps are tapped, they open as expected? 🤔

Last section: iOS (and padOS) device apps function as expected when connected to WiFi, but Android device apps are hit or miss? 🤔

mshuf

Yes, that's exactly correct. 

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I keep mobile data disabled on my phone (I have a grandfathered tiny 1 gigabit plan) and force everything onto WiFi.

I haven't experienced any app hanging (although I don't have any of those specific apps that are listed) on my Samsung A51.

I downloaded the Twitter and Weather Channel for Samsung apps from the Galaxy Store. I opened and closed each app multiple times, restarted the phone twice and tested again.

Everything looked good. Apps were then deleted.

For ESPN, I had to download it from Google Play. The initial opening took a bit longer than I was expecting, but it opened.

I repeated the test process with no hanging experienced. The app was also deleted.

For Fios I have a G3100 and some E3200s scattered around the house.

I don't subscribe to any streaming services, so I didn't attempt to test the television.

As a part of troubleshooting, were the questionable apps either/or reset or removed and downloaded again? 🤔 

mshuf

Thanks for that. I have the CR1000a router. 

Yes, I have reinstalled the apps a couple times, done hard resets on router as well.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah...

I haven't had any experience with the new router. I'll have to defer to others who are more familiar with it. 🙂

mshuf

Well, I spent 3 hours on chat with Verizon and they couldn't fix it. For the hell of it, I decided to sign onto my VPN and Voila! everything worked. I told the tech and he said he would create a ticket. So, I guess I need to be connected to a VPN whenever at home using android products. Thanks for your help either way. Let me know if that adds any info to it.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want to troubleshoot further, I am going to ask you to find a way of capturing the wireless traffic going to and from you Android device. I know IPhone has rvictl.

Since Android is a Linux OS, I am wondering whether it has a journalctl equivalent that logs activities, errors, and almost everything. There must be something going on with the phone.