Re: Funny Verizon blog post; lies about Netflix
monsterlab
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm running a WiFi hotspot on the LTE phone and connecting to it with my Xbox One and Roku. Both are able to pull full Super HD streams (5800kbps) from Netflix. So the device that I'm connecting from has no idea that it's using an LTE connection on the back end. It just sees it as a WiFi network. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@monsterlab wrote:

I'm running a WiFi hotspot on the LTE phone and connecting to it with my Xbox One and Roku. Both are able to pull full Super HD streams (5800kbps) from Netflix. So the device that I'm connecting from has no idea that it's using an LTE connection on the back end. It just sees it as a WiFi network. 

True, but Netflix knows both that you're using WiFi, the network path, and which client you're using.  They set the stream rate based on the client you're using and the network it comes from.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PJL wrote:

Maybe the reason you're seeing such good WiFI tethered through LTE is that the LTE Netflix traffic is usually to a phone (lower resolution, lower stream rate), not in the mode you're using?  So the peering points aren't saturating like the FiOS-connected points are (where everyone is trying to get the high streaming rates)?  I'm not sure, but it may be related.  People using T-Mobile tethered WiFi also have good Netflix performance. 

Maybe the problem is because Wireless data is such a ripoff to the point where people are deathly afraid to use their data, would rather take their phone out back and shoot it across the planet with the largest shotgun they can find, and thus Netflix isn't broken. That and Verizon Wireless does a lot of on-network caching and has a network separate from that of Verizon residential, so they don't have to go out and buy up tons of 10Gig-E ports. 

Verizon and Netflix, the Verizon position
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is a recent post by Verizon about the Netfix issue:

http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/why-is-netflix-buffering-dispelling-the-congestion-myth

While some might argue some of the points in this post, everyone agrees that the issue is with the bandwidth in the network peering (connection)  points.  Verizon is not doing anything to Netflix traffic once that traffic is inside it's network.  The problem is simply that the amount of Netflix data going to Verizon is often bigger than the pipe used to connect the two.

There is certainly an interesting discussion about who should pay for improving the connection between Verizon and Netlfix, but don't believe anyone who tells you Verizon is throttling Netflix on purpose.

Note that the use of a VPN resolves this issue not because it hides Netflix traffic from Verizon, but because it forces traffic over a different, much less congested, route in and out of Verizon's network.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon and Netflix, the Verizon position
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Excuses ... excuse ... excuses - and more excuses.

Explanations ... theories ... war stories.

It's all useless.  The only thing that matters is Verizon delivering the service we are paying for.  What will it take for them to do this?

How about we all just stop paying them? 

After all, this is really just about money, right?  And we all know money talks.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon and Netflix, the Verizon position
Hubrisnxs
Legend

verizon is providing you what you're paying for.

Do a speed test when you're having problems or go to any other website and see if they have problems.

If you get good speed and you're hulu, amazon prime, hbo go experience is flawless, then verizon's doing their part.

Netflix, whom you're also paying isn't doing theres.

Get an apple tv and play it flawlessly on your fios with netflix (netflix intentionally sends that information over a premium network)

and then try your regular devices. 

if your apple tv plays fine, and your other devices don't, then that is a Netflix controlled routing feature.

So yes class action on netflix would be appropriate.    😉

0 Likes