G1100 and MoCA
TomBrady121

I subscribe to FiOS 300/300 internet. The ONT in the basement connects to the G1100 upstairs via coax and Ethernet.

I would like to extend Ethernet to one room via coax. I know the coax in that room works, because we had a cable box there prior to cancelling TV.

Questions:

1. Do I need a MoCA 2.0 or a bonded MoCA 2.0 adapter?

2. Do I only need one MoCA adapter, or does the router need one as well?

3. Do I need to configure anything on the router, or is this a plug-and-play solution?

4. Do I need a MoCA filter?

5. Am I missing anything?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G1100 and MoCA
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TomBrady12 wrote:

Questions:

3. Do I need to configure anything on the router, or is this a plug-and-play solution?

Either MoCA 2.0 or MoCA bonded 2.0 adapter would be fine, but all MoCA bonded 2.0 adapters out there are all incompatible with MoCA 2.5 adapter. If you were to ever upgrade, you need to replace them down the road. MoCA 2.0 adapters do not have this problem.

G1100 has a built-in MoCA 2.0 adapter (in fact, there are two; one at the LAN side, one at the WAN side). It can support a throughput of 500Mbps.

If still using G1100 as a primary router and buy another stand-alone MoCA adapter, the situation PnP.

No MoCA filter necessary unless your Coaxial network is connected to the streets.

Are you missing something? No. Unless you are interested to know what's the MoCA adapter to buy.

You can buy another used G1100 set to "bridge" mode following the guide on the right side of the Forums page. Or a Fios Network Adapter for $55 + tax. Or a MoCA Ethernet Adapter for $99.

View solution in original post

Re: G1100 and MoCA
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TomBrady12 wrote:

Questions:

Either MoCA 2.0 or MoCA bonded 2.0 adapter would be fine, but all MoCA bonded 2.0 adapters out there are all incompatible with MoCA 2.5 adapter. If you were to ever upgrade, you need to replace them down the road. MoCA 2.0 adapters do not have this problem.

G1100 has a built-in MoCA 2.0 adapter (in fact, there are two; one at the LAN side, one at the WAN side). It can support a throughput of 500Mbps.

If still using G1100 as a primary router and buy another stand-alone MoCA adapter, the situation PnP.

No MoCA filter necessary unless your Coaxial network is connected to the streets.

Are you missing something? No. Unless you are interested to know what's the MoCA adapter to buy.

You can buy another used G1100 set to "bridge" mode following the guide on the right side of the Forums page. Or a Fios Network Adapter for $55 + tax. Or a MoCA Ethernet Adapter for $99.