g3100 2.4ghz wifi access point status: disconnected
rdm67

For about a month now, my g3100 router will, on a near daily basis, render the 2.4 ghz wifi access point disconnected. All other connections remain connected. I’ve seen only one other post about this issue from someone else a month ago with no further help.

The only “solutions”  involve rebooting the router, factory resetting the router, and resetting the ONT. All of these actions, when complete, returns all connections to the connected status. A temporary solution, as the 2.4 ghz network will just become disconnected again within 24 hours, sometimes twice in the same period.

One time in particular, the broadband connection specifically was listed as disconnected. At this point of course, not a single connection, wifi or ethernet, had internet access. It was at this point that resetting the ONT brought the broadband connection back to connected.

At one point, the router managed to perform perfectly for several days in a row. But of course again today, the 2.4 ghz network became disconnected.

For anyone else experiencing this issue, I’m convinced it must either be a faulty router, or verizon needs to update the system firmware to solve whatever is causing this strange issue.

I’ve contacted verizon and they’ve said they’ve agreed to send a replacement router, but that was a week ago, and I‘ve received no updates or shipping information since.

I have security devices that are only able to connect to the 2.4 ghz network that are now rendered useless half the time. At first I blamed the devices, until I saw my roku tv was also repeatedly losing connection and finally checked the router settings.

I’m truly disappointed in verizon’s response, or lack thereof.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: g3100 2.4ghz wifi access point status: disconnected
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure when G3100 says certain connections are "disconnected," the connections are actually disconnected?

G1100's ethernet, 2.4GHz, and 5GHz are sometimes always shown "disconnected." But the connection is still there regardless.

rdm67

Yes, they actually are. The only reason I actually discovered this in the first place is because the devices on the 2.4 ghz wifi network would lose internet access.

And if I look to find the available wifi networks from any device when the access point status reads “disconnected”, the 2.4 ghz network will be missing while the 5 ghz network will still be available and internet connected. And of course, ethernet connected devices also remain connected to the internet.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just to ask another question, is G3100's Self Organized Network (SON) turned on? If so, turn it off. That may be the cause of your problem. Otherwise, I would suggest you to contact the tech support department.

kindmadre

I do not believe this is a Verizon router issue. I do not use a Verizon router and have been having the same issue.

0 Likes
rdm67

Yes, SON is off. The problem did likely first occur when it was turned on, but it was also after months of use. However, SON has been off for the past month or so, and the problem continues to occur. 

A replacement router is on the way now, and it’s supposed to arrive Monday. The first time I requested a replacement router, the representative insisted I would have the replacement shipped to me in two days. They sent an email with a ticket number, but no further updates and they never shipped anything.

After making another call a week later, and waiting hours again with customer service, and with the help of a supervisor, they actually shipped the **bleep** thing this time. No one had an answer for why it wasn’t done the first time. Gotta love it.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I appreciate your patience with Verizon.

Please update us here once the shipment has arrived. 

rdm67

Shipment arrived today. I unplugged the old router and waited an hour to connect the new one as per the guidance of the rep I had spoken to. This was to ensure we release the IP. I finished installing the new router about 20 minutes ago or so, and all seems well so far. 

Will post updates later as time goes on, especially if we encounter the same issue again. Something of note, the old router sticker stated it was HW ver:: 1103. This replacement router is version 1104. Otherwise, their appearance is identical, save for a red check logo on the new one, where the old one just had the check logo engraved and white. New router is currently running same firmware version as the old one was before I unplugged it as well.

But hopefully the hardware revision also took care of whatever was causing the 2.4 ghz wifi access point to sporadically disconnect. Granted, the original router worked fine for several months before it started giving issues, so it may be a while until we find out for sure. But I’ll try to return to this post from time to time with updates, and if I see there’s any further questions of course.

0 Likes
rdm67

About 30 minutes ago, the 2.4 ghz network was just not letting anything connect. Logging into the router however revealed that the status of the 2.4 ghz wifi access point was in fact stated to be “Connected”. All connections were “Connected”.

Regardless, the 2.4 ghz network was still selectable as an option from other devices, but would not allow the devices to connect. Suffice to say, this appears to have been a different issue than the original one.

I was on, and stayed on a facetime call on the 5 ghz wifi network the entire time this was occurring, without switch to data, so I presume it was just the 2.4 ghz wifi that was failing to connect devices to it. If this issue were to arise again, I’ll be sure to check ethernet and 5 ghz connected devices for an internet connection.

But as has become routine, I quickly rebooted the new router. As of right now, all internet connected devices appear to be working fine on every network type, 2.4 ghz wifi included.

I will say, I vaguely remember the wifi being a bit spotty when we first installed the old router. But rebooting it once seemed to solve that for many months, and well, you know what happened from there.

So we’ll see how this goes. Perhaps one reboot after installation is just par for the course. I just hope this is the last time I return here about a problem. Will of course keep updating as new things come up.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Normally, a device would never need to be rebooted in order to maintain performance. Can you make sure there is no excessive interference in your area? Possible sources of interference including but is not limited to cordless phones, microwaves, neighbor's WiFi, Bluetooth devices, and any other devices that generate the 2.4GHz band.