Re: g3100 2.4ghz wifi access point status: disconnected
rdm67

Oh I’m sure normally that would be the case, but I doubt there’s too much normal about the original issue at least. 

As for the new router, it’s been fine as far as I can tell after that reboot. Only potential for interference near the router would be the roku streaming device, and that’s sitting a couple feet away on a lower level of the entertainment console.

The new router is in the same spot the old one was. Like I’ve said before, I’ve had long stretches of time where the old router operated perfectly fine (seemingly including right now with the new one post reboot), so I’m not inclined to believe it’s from interference. The signal strength on the neighbors wifi from our home is very low anyway.

Not to mention the fact that all devices, regardless of location, were unable to connect to the 2.4 ghz wifi network in the case of both router issues in the moments they occurred. 

I can’t speak much for the new router just yet, but I assure you the issue with the old one was not caused by something with a normal solution. My gut says it was a hardware issue potentially solved with the new revision.

With the old router, when the issue occurred, it was as if the 2.4 ghz network no longer existed. When I had an issue with the new router today, the 2.4 ghz network existed, but devices couldn’t connect to it.

I’m inclined to believe these were two different issues, and that hopefully that problem with the new router was just a fluke. But we’ll see how it performs from here.

0 Likes
rdm67

Lo and behold, the issue has returned. Just 15 minutes ago or so, I received a notification that my security cameras were not responding to remote requests. I check the router status, and once again, the 2.4 ghz wifi access point was the only one stated to be “Disconnected”. I checked to see if the roku was connected to wifi - it was not. 

Our amazingly frustrating problem is back ladies and gents. Unfortunately, seeing as new hardware did not solve the problem, I can only assume this is being caused by a firmware bug that only Verizon can fix. And who knows how long that’ll take. None of the representatives I spoke with before seemed to have a clue what was going on anyway.

The old router went several months before this issue cropped up. This new router lasted what, a week? The only information I can glean from this is that this likely firmware bug is relatively new. 

Hopefully someone at Verizon that works on the firmware ends up reading this. Until then, I’m heavily debating switching to a provider that doesn’t force me to deal with this headache on my own.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just curious. Have you tried playing around with channels and moving the router off of automatic channel selection? Noisy or dense environments may have the router hopping all over the place, getting interference, and making devices unhappy. Start with channels 1, 6 and 11 first. Use the other channels only as a last resort, since they are overlapping. See if any of them have a positive effect on your network stability.

I would also start ruling out certain devices from your network. If the problem happens frequently enough to take note of which devices are chatting or connecting when the radio fails, that will be useful info. Could be a bad device, could be a driver issue in the FiOS router. Could be anything.

OrangeDSL
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have been struggling with the same issue for two months now. Even after 1.) replacing the router 2.) replacing the ONT 3.) disabling SON 4.) setting the router's 2.4 GHz to "compatibility mode" and allowing it to select whatever channel it wants, the 2.4 network will disconnect whenever. 5 GHz just keeps trucking along as if everything's fine, but of course, you have to reboot the router to get 2.4 GHz back. 

I believe it's a firmware issue, too, because your problem sounds like my problem exactly. In short, it's madness, and we need this solved.

rdm67

I think the best way to explain that it is most certainly a firmware issue lies in the fact that I have changed literally nothing in the time since my last post. I do not have the energy to exhaust any further needless hours diagnosing an issue I cannot solve anyway nor am being paid to solve.

The results? The issue occurred maybe once or twice a few days later, and then never again up to current day. For everyone else having this issue, I am sorry to say I have absolutely no clue why any of it is happening (or as of right now for some reason, not happening.)

But for the love of god, can someone at Verizon at least try to look for some bug in the software that could cause this behavior? 

0 Likes
dcd122

Having the same issue here. Has anyone seen any resolution?

0 Likes
Greg611

Another user said this...

Important Update: In August 2021, Verizon is forcing a major firmware update of the G3100 that will include a new UI.

Upgrading the Verizon G3100 Firmware

Facts first – there’s no official way to manually upgrade the firmware through the Verizon G3100 system settings.

There is a painful workaround and that it is to a full hard system reset.

To do a full hard system reset on the Verizon G3100, while it’s plugged into power, you need to press the red reset button on the back for about 15 seconds. But be warned it erases ALL your settings!

Why does a factory reset upgrade the Verizon G3100? Talking to Verizon support on the phone as part of a factory reset, when the G3100 router reconnects to Verizon it will download and reinstall the latest firmware as part of the process.

I know this isn’t ideal, don’t blame me, I don’t work for Verizon. But it did work for me when my G3100 got corrupted during one of Verizon’s overnight forced firmware updates.

0 Likes
Greg611

The new firmware update should be ver. 3.0.0.14.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Why would you need to manually upgrade the firmware? If your G3100 is the primary router on your network, meaning it has its WAN port directly connected to the ONT, then it should automatically pull the update from Verizon backend. The only probable reason for manual firmware upgrade is if you have the G3100 behind another NAT and/or firewall.

I am not sure where you got the information on the update, but it is not entirely accurate.

The firmware rollout of 3.1.0.12 (not 3.0.0.14) just started this Tuesday, and will continue likely to the end of the month. G3100, unlike the G1100, does not have a hidden firmware upload feature. A complete factory reset is required if you would like to receive the update after the normal rollout. After the upgrade, users may have their prior port forwarding rules wiped out. Verizon has sent or is in the progress of sending email notifications to affected customers; however, the firmware may already got upgraded by the time the user saw the email.

The new UI is a minor point of the upgrade. Other major features include tri-band control, IoT SSID/subnet, and security/firewall patches.

rsheftel
Enthusiast - Level 2

After having my G3100 router work perfectly fine with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz (SON is off) for about 4 months this issue just started for myself as well in the last week. Same problem as the other, it will work after I reboot, but then the 2.4GHz will change to "disconnected" status and all my 2.4GHz devices will disconnect. A reboot fixes the problem, but then the issue happens again in a few days.

It could be coincidental, but when the issue appears the UI (accessed from 192.168.1.1) is very slow and unresponsive.

Firmware version is 3.1.1.20

Anyone from Verizon have input on this issue?

0 Likes