g3100 Coax Cable Not Recognized
Sunfyre42
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm at my wit's end with this. I have Fios gigabit service, the ONT in the garage connects to G3100 through ethernet and coax cable in the walls of the house. I have a Tivo Bolt with a cable card connected via the coax cable, 4 Tivo mini's connected to the Tivo Bolt via Moca network, and a Fios Network Adapter connected to the Moca network to get ethernet in my office for my desktop and network storage unit.

All was working last night. One of my devices wasn't connecting to the wifi network, and since I couldn't figure out why I rebooted my router. When it came back up, nothing connected to the Moca network was working. The router has an internet connection and shares it via wifi and ethernet. But the network adapter is not getting a Moca signal and the Tivo mini's have no connection to the Bolt or internet so they're not working at all. The main Tivo unit with the cable card is getting cable TV signal, but does not have an internet connection as the Moca network is down.

In the router settings it shows Coax status as "cable disconnected". Nothing changed in my physical setup to cause this. I quadruple checked, the coax cable is tight on both ends. Just to be sure, I switched the coax cable going from the wall jack to the router, but that didn't fix it. In the router settings I disabled and reenabled the coax connection a few times, no change. I rebooted the router a few times, and then did a factory reset. All still the same.

I had a long session with tech support by phone, but they couldn't see any problem. They scheduled a tech visit, but I want to see if there's anything else I can try on my end. I haven't reset the ONT as it's in an awkward place for me to get to. And because the Tivo unit is getting TV signal I am pretty sure the ONT is still connected via coax cable. But I could try resetting it if that might help. The only other thing I can think is the router's coax input is damaged.

Anything else I can try to get it fixed?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: g3100 Coax Cable Not Recognized
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Given your description, you have Internet delivered through Ethernet from the ONT. So, the ONT does not use MoCA to communicate with G3100, and the ONT will not be a part of the MoCA network. Nonetheless, this does not imply the ONT coax cable can be disconnected from your MoCA network.

I think there was some confusion. FNA stands for Fios Network Adapter, which is your ECB5240M. I asked you to connect only the G3100 coax with ECB5240M coax. I has not asked you to test the MoCA connection between the G3100 and the ONT. There will be no link and should not be a link.

Regarding the service charge, if the technician finds the issue originates from your configuration error instead of product defects, you are most likely to be charged.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

From your description, your problem is likely out of scope of the official tech support. Tech visit is probably unnecessary and will incur a $99 service fee.

Can you disconnect all MoCA devices except the FNA and the G3100? Is the MoCA LAN illuminate green on G3100?

Sunfyre42
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the tip! I will probably cancel the tech appointment as I don't want to pay the fee for nothing.

No, the Moca LAN light is not lit up. I could disconnect everything connected to the Moca network, but it's quite a few cables to undo. What would be the goal of that?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

TiVo, FNA, and G3100 all have different MoCA versions. Some MoCA versions have a hard time interoperate with others. FNA and G3100 are compatible to be sure. If the MoCA light is still unlit, G3100’s MoCA interface is likely broken.

Sunfyre42
Enthusiast - Level 2

As an update, I rebooted the ONT, still no change. Then I plugged the g3100 directly into the ONT (both ethernet and coax) but the Moca light stayed off and the router status still listed the coax channel as cable disconnected. So I guess the coaxial connection on the router is bad? Is my best bet to get Fios to issue me a new g3100? I'm renting the router (free with gigabit) so presumably Fios will replace if it's gone bad. If I go ahead with the tech visit and that is the problem, will they charge me for the visit?

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Given your description, you have Internet delivered through Ethernet from the ONT. So, the ONT does not use MoCA to communicate with G3100, and the ONT will not be a part of the MoCA network. Nonetheless, this does not imply the ONT coax cable can be disconnected from your MoCA network.

I think there was some confusion. FNA stands for Fios Network Adapter, which is your ECB5240M. I asked you to connect only the G3100 coax with ECB5240M coax. I has not asked you to test the MoCA connection between the G3100 and the ONT. There will be no link and should not be a link.

Regarding the service charge, if the technician finds the issue originates from your configuration error instead of product defects, you are most likely to be charged.