G3100 DHCP Reservation Issue
fiosuser2352352

I am adding smart switches to dhcp reservations and I can do 2 and its fine but as soon as I do 3, it crashes DHCP, all my connection list dissapears, no devices can pull an address or renew theirs and it just shows the 3 reservations in the connections list.   As soon as I delete one it starts working again.  EDIT: Sometimes I have to delete all 3 before it wil lstart working again.

Really blows because means there is no way to set these reservations which is required for them to work properly with home assistant.

There are NO SPACES in my reservation host names.   I do have a "Blink Hub" device that has a space but it doesnt have a reservation.   I have no way to rename it on the hub itself, I tried setting a reservation with no space in the name and it didnt help.   

I wanted to use my own Unifi router but if you dont use the verizon router you cant view DVR content in the app so I finally went back to using the verizon supplied router.   I guess my other option is to setup a network with the verizon router for my streaming sticks and cable boxes and use my unifi router for everything else....

0 Likes
Re: G3100 DHCP Reservation Issue
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@fiosuser2352352 wrote:

I wanted to use my own Unifi router but if you dont use the verizon router you cant view DVR content in the app so I finally went back to using the verizon supplied router.

If FIOS TV One (or FIOS One TV - if I got that wrong), I heard/read that it is required to use their NAT router.

That is to say if you have FIOS TV but not FIOS TV One, it is not required that you use their NAT router. Since I do not and never had FIOS, I can not say if that is true or not.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don't like the DHCP server on G3100, nothing prevents you to host your own DHCP server. Simply disable DHCP server on G3100 and configure dnsmasq on an always-on network device.

As a side note, static IP addresses should be always used over DHCP reservation whenever possible. DHCP clients rely on the DHCP server to obtain an IP address. If your DHCP server goes down, all DHCP clients go down with it after a while.

fiosuser2352352

Yes, I am aware, thank you, however, it's not that I dont like it, it's that its broken, I dont understand how this hasnt been fixed, I have found many threads related to issues with the DHCP server on this router.   I havent fully moved in to my new place yet so I dont have anything there besides the router and the smart home stuff I am installing.

I am unable to set a static IP on the devices in question, they are smart switches and dont have that functionality. 

0 Likes
fiosuser2352352

@dslr595148 wrote:

@fiosuser2352352 wrote:

I wanted to use my own Unifi router but if you dont use the verizon router you cant view DVR content in the app so I finally went back to using the verizon supplied router.

If FIOS TV One (or FIOS One TV - if I got that wrong), I heard/read that it is required to use their NAT router.

That is to say if you have FIOS TV but not FIOS TV One, it is not required that you use their NAT router. Since I do not and never had FIOS, I can not say if that is true or not.

Can anyone confirm which of the 2 systems dont require the fios router?   I had the old Fios TV in my old house and it didnt work without the Fios Router, I couldnt watch any DVR content from the mobile apps.  I now have Fios One, so if Fios one will work without their router, that would be of interest.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you need remote DVR functions, I believe neither the older VMS boxes nor the newer Fios TV One boxes would work without a VZ router.