G3100 inputs - do I need coaxial and ethernet?
big_apple_al

I have a G3100 router and it currently has both coax and Ethernet inputs.

Do I need both of these? I only subscribe to FIOS for wi-fi and don't have any set-top boxes.

The reason I ask is that I want to move my router (which is in the basement) up to the first floor of my house. I have bought a 100ft Ethernet cable and I am able to wire this from the existing router location to where I want the router to go.

Is it possible for me, using a female-to-female connector, to connect the existing ethernet cable (which comes to the router from the ONT which is mounted to the outside of my house) to the 100ft cable and simply move the router and plug it into the other end of the cable?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 inputs - do I need coaxial and ethernet?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT's can provide WAN (internet) signal using coax or Ethernet.  Since you have both plugged into the router and ONT, it's likely you're using Ethernet; in that case, your approach of using an Ethernet coupler will work.

You should confirm that you do indeed have Ethernet WAN from the ONT.  Some ways to check:

• You have internet speeds above 100Mbps - these require Ethernet WAN
  • Ethernet is plugged into the WAN port on your router
  • Unplugging the coax from the router doesn't cause a loss of service.

If you do have coax WAN, it's a simple support call to Verizon to get them to switch the ONT to Ethernet WAN.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You subscribe Fios for Internet service, not for just the WiFi. WiFi is only a connection standard.

In short, yes. The coax cable is only for MoCA if you are using it for STBs or network backbone.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT's can provide WAN (internet) signal using coax or Ethernet.  Since you have both plugged into the router and ONT, it's likely you're using Ethernet; in that case, your approach of using an Ethernet coupler will work.

You should confirm that you do indeed have Ethernet WAN from the ONT.  Some ways to check:

• You have internet speeds above 100Mbps - these require Ethernet WAN
  • Ethernet is plugged into the WAN port on your router
  • Unplugging the coax from the router doesn't cause a loss of service.

If you do have coax WAN, it's a simple support call to Verizon to get them to switch the ONT to Ethernet WAN.