G3100 port forwarding not working in SW 1.3.6.27
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone been able to get port forwarding to work properly on the G3100?

Other posts have been made and "solved" but the solutions are not real solutions.

There appears to be a bug in SW 1.3.6.27, HW 1103.

Thanks!

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 port forwarding not working in SW 1.3.6.27
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I double-checked what I called Method 2 -- setup port forwarding by entering the Firewall Menu and then selecting the Port Forwarding option.

While checking that, I recognized I was making a mistake in the configuration -- I was not leaving the Source Port at the correct setting of ANY.  After fixing that mistake, port forwarding worked as expected.

So to help others, if you are setting up a server on your LAN that you want others to access from the internet:

Source Port:  Any

Destination Port:  Port Number for your service

Forward to Port:  Port Number for your service

I will mark this ticket as SOLVED.

Thank you Dear dslr595148 Platinum Contributor III for sticking with this.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You use an inbound client side port checker like http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester or from https://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm then be sure that:

you are forwarding the ports that you want to check and the server that you are trying to forward is NOT in the listening state.

Stated reason that the server that you make sure the server trying to forward is NOT in the listening state when using an inbound client side port checker, when using this kind of port checker - it will try to listen on that port and you can not have two servers listening on the same port at the same time.

#2 Or instead of an inbound client port checker:

a) Download and Install a packet sniffer. A packet sniffer like, tcpdump. But please note tcpdump is not the only packet sniffer that exist.

b) For tcpdump. tcpdump -p -n -i eth port 5154 would be a good command to start with). If you see incoming TCP SYN packets (not SYN/ACK), or incoming UDP packets from an IP which did not have an outgoing packet first, then the port is open.

c) and use a client side port checker like https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

d) Note #1: If the port number is not 5154, then replace that port number with the one that you are testing.

e) Note #2: If the interface is not eth, then replace that interface with the one that you are testing.

f) Note #3: To test more than port...

tcpdump portrange 5153-5155

tcpdump port 5353 or port 8080

...or you can combine it...

tcpdump portrange 5153-5155 or port 5353 or port 8080

#3 Once you know that the port is open from the outside (not talking about from behind the router), see Port forwarding only works seen from outside my local network? 

#3 If you need any help getting the port sent through the router, please post.

#4 Likewise if you need any help getting the port to show as open after you use a client side port checker (or a packet sniffer and a web based port checker), please post.

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear dslr595148 Platinum Contributor III,

I am not sure if you are a human or bot, but I will assume for a minute that you are a well intentioned prolific Verizon forum poster trying to help as many people as possible.

I am familiar with methods for testing if ports are open which appears to be the intent of your post.  

• Do you have a G3100? 
  • Have you used any of the methods in your post to test port forwarding on the G3100?
  • Were you able to successfully open a port on the G3100?  

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

a) I do not have FIOS or ever have.

b) I do not have any FIOS routers or ever have.

#2 While I do not have FIOS or any FIOS routers or ever have had FIOS/any FIOS routers, I have used the methods that I listed to tested ports with the router(s) that I have.

#3 No, see answer number 1a and 1b.

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the honest reply and for trying to help.

Unfortunately tests do nothing but confirm what I already thought was the case -- port forwarding is broken on the G3100.

I called and spoke to LaTanya last week (on 5/21)-- she was unable to confirm or deny the problem.  She was also unable to get anyone on the phone who could troubleshoot a higher level tech problem.  She was supposed to call me back but she never did.

I plan on calling again tomorrow (Tuesday, 5/26).

Greg

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just got off the phone with Verizon (5/26 at 10:00am ET) -- actually a third party company called Altius in India that Verizon appears to outsource certain tech support calls too. 

First I started with one woman and then we waited a long time to talk to a 2nd person who didn't have any of the info about why I was calling in -- had to start all over again.  Spoke to the 2nd rep briefly and that's when I got switched over to Altius.

The Altius rep had an Indian accent but fortunately he was intelligible.

He had me put the computer I was trying to port forward to into the DMZ.  Putting the computer into the DMZ did make the port visible from the WAN side.  Unfortunately that's not what I want to do -- I don't want to put my son's computer in the DMZ.

The representative reply was "sometimes with certain routers that's what you have to do".  I tried to explain no, that's not how it is supposed to work -- this is a bug.

I begged him to create a bug report, but it's not clear if he has the ability to do this.  I think he might have at least created a ticket that a customer (me) thinks there is a bug with the G3100 and port forwarding.  

A little bit frustrating to say the least.

Cheers,

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

For us helpers to better assist you, please take a screen shot at the forwarding page.

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Then upload it here. Because of the ways things work, an admin/a mod will have to approve of it to show up - so do not be alarmed if it does not show up right away.

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the offer to look at a screen shot, but that will not help anything.   Setting up port forwarding is actually quite simple -- I have done this many times on many routers.  Unfortunately there is a bug with the G3100 running 1.3.6.27 software.

I have a ticket in the system and hope that it leads to a solution.  I hope this bug is known and the next firmware release will address it.

Note:  There are several posters in this forum and in the Fios subreddit that have not been able to get port forwarding working on the G3100. 

Port forwarding is not a fundamental function of the router that most people use, but it is a a feature that some customers need and it is disappointing that the released firmware could escape with the feature not working at all.

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

Q1 Since DMZ worked and you do not want to do that, a question. Is the issue something to deal with the firewall settings of the router?

If you are on the high level: Change it to medium, retest and report back the results.

If you are on medium level, for testing reasons only: Change it to low, retest and report back the results.

If you are on low level and it is not working: Please state that you are on low level and it is not working.

I also have these other questions.

Q2 While I get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

Please note for this next question even if you have another one that is not use, you must say so. For example: Yes, but it is a spare.

Q3 Do you have a separate router?

Please note for this next question: One of the NICs must be a wired NIC and it should not be a portable type of computer (ex: a laptop).

Q4 Do you have spare computer that works that either has two NICs or you could add a second NIC?

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are you still trying to find a a way to get port forwarding working or are you collecting more information for the engineers that would be working on solving it? 

I will answer your questions:

1) I tried all levels of the firewall High, Medium, and Low and port forwarding did not work with any level.

2) Yes, I have all Verizon's services - internet, TV, and phone.

3) Yes, I have many routers -- several of which I have used in the past and port forwarding worked great.  None of them are connected at the moment.

4) No, I do not have a computer that I could connect two NIC's too.

Greg