Re: G3100 port forwarding not working in SW 1.3.6.27
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a possible workaround type of fix in the meantime while waiting for them to fix the issue.

I used Google or another online search engine to look up use your own router and have FIOS TV work.

And found out the following info.

#1 REF = https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Your-Own-Router-With-Verizon-FiOS

From part one step 3

Purchase a MoCA adapter if you have FIOS TV service. If you have TV service through Verizon FIOS, switching to a new router will prevent internet-specific TV features (such as the guide, On Demand, and the DVR) from working. A MoCA adapter should make your TV service work almost exactly as it did before. Some popular manufacturers are Actiontec and TRENDnet.[3]You may lose the ability to program your DVR remotely when using your own router. You should still be able to use regular DVR functions in your home.

#2 REF = https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-my-own-router-keeping-FIOS-TV-working-stopping-ren...

I just assumed you meant you were getting your own router. But if you buy a Verizon one then you don't need the MoCA adapter.

Like other poster said you can also configure a Verizon router to work as a MoCA adapter as well.

#3 Also found this https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Using-your-own-router-with-Verizon-FiOS/td-p/851632

and see the section Steps for users with FiOS TV

Another EDIT..

Same thread where Steps for users with FiOS TV and quotes a FAQ item.

Q: What services are affected when using my own router? A: The only known service that has issues is the remotely programmed DVR option for FiOS TV. No other services are affected (such as phone).

EDIT: Since posting, there has been a new article posted to DSLReorts with a solution for keeping remote DVR and Caller ID on screen: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16710

🙂

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear dslr595148 Platinum Contributor III,

Thank you for the suggestion to use an alternate router other than the G3100 I just purchased from Verizon until Verizon fixes port forwarding in the G3100.   (FYI, the purchase price of the G3100 was $399!)

I have run other routers with MoCA adapters for many years but I decided to purchase the Verizon G3100 because it is a powerful device that fully supports all of Verizon's features -- one important feature is that streaming video from Verizon's TV boxes (VOD) does not count against your rate plan's capacity whereas it does count against your data pipe bandwidth if you use your own equipment.

With a busy tech family at home in the time of COVID-19 this is a nice feature.  

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gburlingame wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion to use an alternate router other than the G3100 I just purchased from Verizon until Verizon fixes port forwarding in the G3100.   (FYI, the purchase price of the G3100 was $399!)

I have run other routers with MoCA adapters for many years but I decided to purchase the Verizon G3100 because it is a powerful device that fully supports all of Verizon's features -- one important feature is that streaming video from Verizon's TV boxes (VOD) does not count against your rate plan's capacity whereas it does count against your data pipe bandwidth if you use your own equipment.

With a busy tech family at home in the time of COVID-19 this is a nice feature.  

Greg

Glad to hear/read.

Marking as solved, since you found that workaround.

Assuming that this thread does not become locked when it is to old to reply to,

we can change the Solution to the issue after it is solved for real.

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate you want to help, but I am very disappointed that you marked this post as SOLVED.  This problem is not solved.

I ask that you only mark this problem as SOLVED when port forwarding on the G3100 works as expected on a future firmware update. 

Replacing the G3100 with other equipment is can not be considered as a solution to "G3100 port forwarding not working in SW 1.3.6.27". 

The title of the post is not "Looking for a way to get port forwarding with Verizon Fios".

I kindly request that you unmark this issue as SOLVED as it is most definitely not SOLVED.

If you do not unmark it as SOLVED I will create a new ticket with the same information all over again.

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just found the option to mark this thread as UNSOLVED.  

I'll mark it as SOLVED when it is really SOLVED.

Cheers,

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

I have one least another test/thing to look at that you can do with the router.

Since the lowest possible firewall setting did not work and DMZ did, from the firewall page go to Access Control.

This is important because in the manual / user's guide REF https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/onecmsresource/home-router-usermanual_new.pdf

on page 88, it clearly states for Minimum level

Unrestricted for Internet Requests Incoming Traffic

with this note as what that means

Unrestricted - permits full access of incoming traffic from the internet and allows all outgoing traffic, except as configured in Access Control

Please be sure that the router access controls is not blocking what you are trying to do.

gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not added any restrictions under the Access Control section.

Greg

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Post 13 and 14 from https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Router-G3100-Port-and-port-forwarding/m-p/897934#M80848

@PedalLove wrote:

I have a G3100 ( HW: 1103, FW: 1.3.6.27) and have not been able to get port forwarding to work. Can anyone confirm that it does in fact work on this model and firmware? I've heard that there are some versions where it doesn't work at all. I'd like to know if my problems are caused by my settings or if the router has a problem.

Thanks.

@PedalLove wrote:

I solved my own issue and got port forwarding to work. I had to delete the entry in Port Forwarding Rules that I had set up for the port I needed and instead, specifically identify the ports in the Firewall - Port Forwarding section. It seems like creating a port forwarding rule for my application and applying it in the firewall doesn't work. In the Firewall section, I simply had to use the "Custom Ports" option instead of the application rule that I had created previously. Now it works!

Does that help you???

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have tried both methods and neither has worked.

Method 1:  Define a rule under Advanced/Port Forwarding Rules and then apply it under Firewall/Port Forwarding

Method 2:  Make a new rule under Firewall/Port Forwarding

Super confusing naming -- horrible user interface design.  With that said, I have tried both methods and neither works.

Greg

0 Likes
gburlingame1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I double-checked what I called Method 2 -- setup port forwarding by entering the Firewall Menu and then selecting the Port Forwarding option.

While checking that, I recognized I was making a mistake in the configuration -- I was not leaving the Source Port at the correct setting of ANY.  After fixing that mistake, port forwarding worked as expected.

So to help others, if you are setting up a server on your LAN that you want others to access from the internet:

Source Port:  Any

Destination Port:  Port Number for your service

Forward to Port:  Port Number for your service

I will mark this ticket as SOLVED.

Thank you Dear dslr595148 Platinum Contributor III for sticking with this.