G3100 Wireless Issues
slingshot2021

My router is running 3.1.0.13 which appears to be latest as of Feb '22. I have no idea when it was installed, but I read that it was being done progressively to customers.

For the past two weeks we have noticed wifi issues. Cell phone apps running slowly or unusable. Having issues on iPhone and Samsung devices. All devices are up to date based on the software/firmware they can handle.

I have done many tests, I have reset the routers, the phone network settings. Uninstall, install apps, but to no avail. The phones work on other wifi networks, work on 5G, and even work on the router with the Guest Network setup.

I have ran speed tests, disconnected all devices and re-added a phone and the issue persists. I am starting to believe this issue to be something in the FW at least in my case. I am unable to figure this out and I have never seen behavior quite like this (when devices are virus free).

I believe Ethernet connected devices are working, but, I do worry that this may become an issue at some point. I have had this router since Aug 2021 and experience zero issues until two weeks ago.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 Wireless Issues
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most modern smart phones should support IPv6 if not defaulted to prefer IPv6 over IPv4. Unless your phones are dated, enabling/disabling IPv6 should have no effect on network stability.

3.1.0.13 firmware was rolled out a while ago. I believe it was rolled out last year. VZ is gradually rolling out WAN IPv6 support by regions. When it’s your regional office’s turn, automatic system will enable your router’s IPv6 again.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some questions to get the ball rolling.

What speed is being subscribed to (200, 400, gig or something else)?

Is SON enabled? If it is, can it be disabled and testing done again?

Is the router connected to the ONT via an Ethernet or coaxial cable?

If Ethernet, has the cable been swapped out? If coaxial, are any/all splitters MoCA 2.0 or higher?

Can the router be temporarily relocated close to the ONT, connected with either a short Ethernet or coaxial cable (depending upon how it is presently connected) and retested?

Has the ONT been power-cycled?

Lastly, can the 3100 be temporarily replaced by some other router for retesting?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

May I ask whether wireless issues also appear on laptops and computers connected wirelessly? In your description, you only mentioned about cell phones are having issues.

slingshot2021

OK I guess I was not subscribed to my own post. I must have had to put that option some where.

My issue has been resolved. Verizon disabled IPv6 DHCP on my Router. This is apparently a post release 3.1.0.13 problem. (Feb 2022).

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most modern smart phones should support IPv6 if not defaulted to prefer IPv6 over IPv4. Unless your phones are dated, enabling/disabling IPv6 should have no effect on network stability.

3.1.0.13 firmware was rolled out a while ago. I believe it was rolled out last year. VZ is gradually rolling out WAN IPv6 support by regions. When it’s your regional office’s turn, automatic system will enable your router’s IPv6 again.

Fer3

Hi,

Thank you very much!!!

That solution worked for me too. Saved me a lot of headaches. 

0 Likes