Gateway disconnects/restarts frequently.
soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Gigabit ethernet and use my own router but still need the gateway since I also have cable service.  So the gateway is in bridge mode and my PC is connected directly to the gateway and is served internet that way.

For a few weeks now I've been losing service on my PC randomly, once or twice a day.  I lose internet for about 5 minutes and then it reconnects.  I tried many settings on my PC and even replaced the ethernet cable before I noticed every time it happens the gateway light goes from solid amber to flashing white.  Research online seems to indicate that the gateway is restarting.  I'm not sure why it is doing this like once a day or more though.

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gateway disconnects/restarts frequently.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router you pictured is not the Quantum Gateway router (G1100), but a G3100. You are right that you still need the G3100 to serve as your primary router because certain Fios TV features require a VZ router to be the primary router. 

But if you put the G3100 into bridge mode, which no longer serves as the primary router, your VoD and remote DVR features should not work. Aren't they? Putting G3100 into bridge mode would also induce the yellow circle and the router would cease to receive firmware updates.

My advice would be put your own router into bridge mode while still using G3100 as the primary router.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Which Verizon router model is being used? Has the cable between the ONT and router been replaced?

Can the error logs be checked to see what the router is seeing, 🤔

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

We need some disambiguation before we can fully understand your setup.

What do you mean by gateway? Do you mean a network gateway, which is equivalent to a router, or Fios Quantum Gateway router, which is also a router? OR, do you mean a modem for your cable service? OR, do you mean an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) for your Fios service? Verizon Fios does not offer cable service. Fios TV is not delivered to your home through cable either.

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

The ONT  connects via ethernet to my own Google router.  The router then connects to the WAN port of the Quantum Gateway router pictured here:

I still have this because it is needed for my Fios cable features (guide, on demand, etc.)  The Quantum Gateway connects to the house coax and on the other end I have a MoCa adapter to connect it to the set top box.  The router is also in bridge mode so it can act as a switch and my PC connects to a LAN port and receives internet that way.

This all works fine except that the router frequently seems to reboot dropping my internet connection.  I'm trying to find out why.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router you pictured is not the Quantum Gateway router (G1100), but a G3100. You are right that you still need the G3100 to serve as your primary router because certain Fios TV features require a VZ router to be the primary router. 

But if you put the G3100 into bridge mode, which no longer serves as the primary router, your VoD and remote DVR features should not work. Aren't they? Putting G3100 into bridge mode would also induce the yellow circle and the router would cease to receive firmware updates.

My advice would be put your own router into bridge mode while still using G3100 as the primary router.

soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

My video on demand and all my other cable features still work with it set up this way.  The Verizon technician who installed my Gigabit service even helped me configure it this way.  And the top pinned comment on the community boards are instruction on how to set it up this way.  I need my own router to be my primary because it is a Google mesh router and serves the other hubs in my house.

0 Likes
soccastar0011
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ended up removing the G3100 from the equation entirely.  I replaced it with a MoCa adapter and a dumb switch.  Everything is working just as it did before and no disconnects as of yet.  Only downside was I replaced one power brick with 2.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If this setup works for VoD and remote DVR, then hooray for you.

If you take the VZ router out of the equation, set-top boxes cannot upgrade when there's a new firmware available. You can't activate new set-top boxes either.