Getting message at start up: Antivirus could not start
dkw197
Contributor - Level 1

I feel like I am running around in circles trying to figure out what the problem is. I have Verizon Security Suite, Windows XP and IE 8. Since I downloaded IE 8, I started getting this message when I start my computer: Antivirus could not start. I ran the diagnostic that was offered in the message and it showed that there was no problem. But then why do I keep getting this message? When I opened the Verizon Security suite, there is no Antivirus tool specifically listed on the left, but only Advance Protection--so can't click on anything to check. Everything on that page seemed to be working and is in turned ON. My Windows Firewall is turned off because I know the Verizon SS has one already. Anyone have any idea why it is telling me that my Verizon Security Suite Antivirus is turned off? I have seen a few forum comments that there are some problems between Verizon and IE 7 & 8--could this be one of them? I have run out of places to check in my computer. Thanks in advance for the help--I sure do want my antivirus on.

0 Likes
Re: Getting message at start up: Antivirus could not start
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

There could be a lot of reasons for that. But usually the simplest solution is, uninstall the Verizon Security Suite and the Verizon Service Point from the computer (add and remove programs from the control pannel)

And then redownload and reinstall the software. Its easier than trying to troubleshoot all the possible issues that can cause this problem

Although there is one possiblity that can cause some worry. There are a few viruses out there that when they get on the computer they disable the antivirus and will not allow it to be turned back on. Now since you said it happened after upgrading to IE 8 it is probably just a programming error but this is something to keep in mind and watch your computer for other virus symptoms. (slow computer, funky operations, etc)

0 Likes
dkw197
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the help, spacedebris. Before I do that I noticed something today that I wanted to add. When I started my computer this morning, I got the regular message that said "Antivirus could not start" and then when I clicked on the "close" box, the Verizon Security Suite icon in the bottom lower right of my screen popped up. It looks like it gets hung up during set up just as you suggested. At start up, the network connection icon is there first, then it hangs up and then when I click "close" on the antivirus message, the Verizon Security suite icon and the WiFi security icon pops up. It looks like it eventually opens up and I get protection, but is delayed. I'm not the most computer saavy person and have noticed a few people in the forums who have been having problems uninstalling and reinstalling their Security Suite--so am a little nervous about doing that. I didn't have trouble until I installed IE 8. Do you think it would be better to uninstall that and go back to the IE 6 that  I had before?  I know there were complaints on the board from people who said Verizon wasn't very compatible with IE 7 & 8.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

IE7 and IE8 both had issues when first released but they seem pretty stable now. (should be using Firefox anyway Smiley Tongue )

Most people dont have an issue with removing and reinstlling Viss. Some do but that is a realitively minor number so I wouldnt be too concerned for that. Now if the AV is actually starting, make sure that you can open VISS and see the AV "ON" and see if you can run a manual scan. If so, not to worry, just a slow startup more than likely and windows is too impatient giving a warning too quickly. If you cant run the scan, then I'd still uninstall and reinstall. You could try a system restore to go back to IE6 but there are a lot of security worries with that. I'd stick with the IE8, reinstall Viss, and install Firefox.  LOL.

0 Likes