Gigabit internet slow on a main device
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have switched to the gigabit internet but so far what I'm getting on https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ is 940/940 for the router tab and 690/140 for the main device (PC) connected directly to the router.

Any clue what is going on?

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit internet slow on a main device
jonjones1
Legend

@JackTheKnifewrote:

I have switched to the gigabit internet but so far what I'm getting on https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ is 940/940 for the router tab and 690/140 for the main device (PC) connected directly to the router.

Any clue what is going on?

You are getting the correct speed. Verizon Fios states “ up to 940/880” 

device speeds are not guaranteed only from the main router to the Verizon server.

no device will get 1024/1024 none. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

imageRouter speed

imageiPad on WiFi speed

You can see from my results above well within spec. In fact I am mostly on WiFi and not direct connected. But even with 4K HDTV’s and Apple 4K TV’s and Roku and Wii machines etc. on direct connect the speeds are fantastic. 

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know I'm not going to get full spectrum of the badwith on a device but at least I should to get around 800s for both. Now I'm getting even less on DL: around 500s 😞

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

The screenshots are not working

I saw others screenshots and they are getting much more than I do (around 800s and 900s) for UL and DL.

Also I'm running on Intel PRO NIC  series which can test back to router and IMO router's LANs are the weak point.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JackTheKnifewrote:

I know I'm not going to get full spectrum of the badwith on a device but at least I should to get around 800s for both. Now I'm getting even less on DL: around 500s 😞

On direct router to Verizon’s server you should get around 940/880 +/- it’s never the same.

on device speed directly connected to the router it should be close to advertised speeds. But as in my screen shot you are seeing a WiFi connecting with an iPad mini 4 my iPhone X gets slightly better. But Verizon does not care about device speeds over WiFi. But if like you said you are direct ethernet to the router and you have the latest and greatest computer than the device speeds should be higher. Try different devices and see if any get better results.

verizon only goes by the advertised up speed of 940/880 router to Verizon’s test server. Not devices.

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I have got router replacement today. Previous version had hardware version 1.03 and a new one has 1.04

On a new one I have got much more out of the box 

Your device speed: 602/931 Mbps

so definietly it was a router issue. 

At that point I may check Nighthawk router to see if I can get better values.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JackTheKnifewrote:

So I have got router replacement today. Previous version had hardware version 1.03 and a new one has 1.04

On a new one I have got much more out of the box 

Your device speed: 602/931 Mbps

so definietly it was a router issue. 

At that point I may check Nighthawk router to see if I can get better values.

As I told you bad router. Also make sure QOS is off on the Nighthawk and on the Quantum turn of WMM under wireless settings. Speed will increase.

JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Is there QoS on Quantum router for wired connections?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

On Quantum routers it’s called WMM in wireless only settings.

a hard wired device(s) usually use what is necessary system speaking. I have not know QOS to be needed today with the better technology on routers.

0 Likes