Gigabit network over coax
Gerryallen
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I am  trying to figure out if I can run a gbps network over coax. The situation is this and forgive me if I use the wrong terms.

1) ONT to Main Router (old Actiontecvia ver. F) is connected via COAX. Cat 5A from  computer to router.

2) Second Router in basement (Ver F), as MOCA bridge, via COAX. PS3 wired to Router 2 via CAT5

Here are the questions.

1) I'm considering the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH to eliminate one or more of my existing settop boxes. The information about the CETON says I should have a gigabyte network to best accomidate use of the tuner, and based on my exisitng equipment, I need to upgrade. I am happy to buy the new "GigE" router to do this.

2) However, I have also read that I will not be able to get the speed I need from COAX. Running CAT 5a or 6 is not an option, I have to use the existing COAX connections for the various rooms in the house.

3) So, can I get true Gig Networking using the COAX?

4) Do I need TWO new Routers (one to replace the main router and one to replace the one in the basement)?

I'm willing to invest in the upgrade, but only if I can get the network speed over the COAX connection. Again, thanks for any advise you can provide.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit network over coax
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, gigabit over current 1.0 and 1.1 (and even the newer version 2.0) of MoCA cannot do Gigabit.  If you do get one of the higher speed tiers from Verizon they will connect you via ethernet to the ONT and give you a gigabit router.

Gerryallen
Enthusiast - Level 2

So that will take me from the ONT to the new Router. That still does not solve my issue with the basement hookup though. If I understand your post, I would still need to run CAT5a or 6 to the basement area to achieve the speed I'm looking for on the network, right?

Would the basement CAT5a or 6 run have to come from the ONT or would it come of the MAIN new Router?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, you would need cat 5e/6/7 from router to other locations.

prisaz
Legend

Though CetonCorp says use GigaBit, I have used a spare / older Verizon AT router as a bridge only for a single extender. Ethernet to MOCA and no WAN. Just make sure your second Actiontec does not conflict with the first ones IP. Set it for a different IP like 192.168.1.2 or something other than what the main Actiontec router uses, and something outside of your DHCP range. Since the amount of broadcast / multicast traffic from the Mediacenter network and extenders seemed to be rather high, I went ahead and ran CAT6 cable. But I also run a 6TB RAID file server for personal media. I also now have a Quad Core Server 16GB of ram, 2 TB of storage, with two Ceton InfiniTV PCIe for a total of 8 tuners and 5 extenders. So my network is rather pushing it over a 16 port layer 2 managed switch, and the remaining Actiontec only runs for Ethernet WAN traffic to the Internet on the ONT. No coax on the routers. I now have no Verizon TV hardware.

When I first started with only two extenders, the MOCA bridge worked fine over coax to single Echo extender. Actually at one point I had two OLD Actiontec routers set up as bridges to two seperate extenders before I pulled the CAT6. I hope this information helps.

Remember the limitations of MOCA 1.1 175 Mb/s and 2.0 at 500 Mb/s which I am pretty sure the Actiontec routers are at 1.1 with a limit of 175 Mb/s. Though I could be wrong. So if you plan on more than 1-2 extenders over coax, I would say it will not work.

If your existing router is not a GigE router, but one of the Older routers like a Rev A-D or possibly E or F, Verizon may replace it at no cost. You would need to contact tech support and consult with the regarding wireless speeds and other issues you may have regarding gaming speeds and router locking up etc..

If they replace your existing router, there is a good chance they will not want the old one back. If that is the case, you have a cheap bridge right there at no cost. Since you would not be using the firewall or NAT features and WAN port. It should work fine for a single extender. Remember if you have Verizon hardware on the MOCA, you could run into trouble with your STB hardware.

IT IS BEST TO RUN GIGABIT AS RECOMMENDED.

Also items to consider. The Ceton Echo is still not running Android!!!! So that means no internet apps, such as Netflix, Etc. My daughter runs X-Box 360 that works well, and I am running two PCs as extenders, in addition to the server at the main TV. So they have Internet. But the 2 Echos in the kitchen and Master Bedroom do not have all the features I would like. Also need Windows 7, or the Beta Firmware and Windows 8 with hopes it works, I have not tested it, but I am running the tuner pool with all beta software and firmware in current configuration with no trouble under Windows 7.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

Though CetonCorp says use GigaBit, I have used a spare / older Verizon AT router as a bridge only for a single extender. Ethernet to MOCA and no WAN. Just make sure your second Actiontec does not conflict with the first ones IP. Set it for a different IP like 192.168.1.2 or something other than what the main Actiontec router uses, and something outside of your DHCP range. Since the amount of broadcast / multicast traffic from the Mediacenter network and extenders seemed to be rather high, I went ahead and ran CAT6 cable. But I also run a 6TB RAID file server for personal media. I also now have a Quad Core Server 16GB of ram, 2 TB of storage, with two Ceton InfiniTV PCIe for a total of 8 tuners and 5 extenders. So my network is rather pushing it over a 16 port layer 2 managed switch, and the remaining Actiontec only runs for Ethernet WAN traffic to the Internet on the ONT. No coax on the routers. I now have no Verizon TV hardware.

When I first started with only two extenders, the MOCA bridge worked fine over coax to single Echo extender. Actually at one point I had two OLD Actiontec routers set up as bridges to two seperate extenders before I pulled the CAT6. I hope this information helps.

Remember the limitations of MOCA 1.1 175 Mb/s and 2.0 at 500 Mb/s which I am pretty sure the Actiontec routers are at 1.1 with a limit of 175 Mb/s. Though I could be wrong. So if you plan on more than 1-2 extenders over coax, I would say it will not work.

If your existing router is not a GigE router, but one of the Older routers like a Rev A-D or possibly E or F, Verizon may replace it at no cost. You would need to contact tech support and consult with the regarding wireless speeds and other issues you may have regarding gaming speeds and router locking up etc..

If they replace your existing router, there is a good chance they will not want the old one back. If that is the case, you have a cheap bridge right there at no cost. Since you would not be using the firewall or NAT features and WAN port. It should work fine for a single extender. Remember if you have Verizon hardware on the MOCA, you could run into trouble with your STB hardware.

IT IS BEST TO RUN GIGABIT AS RECOMMENDED.

Also items to consider. The Ceton Echo is still not running Android!!!! So that means no internet apps, such as Netflix, Etc. My daughter runs X-Box 360 that works well, and I am running two PCs as extenders, in addition to the server at the main TV. So they have Internet. But the 2 Echos in the kitchen and Master Bedroom do not have all the features I would like. Also need Windows 7, or the Beta Firmware and Windows 8 with hopes it works, I have not tested it, but I am running the tuner pool with all beta software and firmware in current configuration with no trouble under Windows 7.

Indeed you should be able to use less than GigE.  After all almost no home users are using Internet speeds that high.  For most 25MbPs is high, many still using slower speeds.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns_2 wrote:

Indeed you should be able to use less than GigE.  After all almost no home users are using Internet speeds that high.  For most 25MbPs is high, many still using slower speeds.

Maybe not internet speeds of 1Gb but I certainly use all my internal network inter connectivity as gig speeds.  I use the VZ router as a gateway to the internet and then have ther rest of the house on my own GigE routers connected to the VZ router,  All the devices run perfectly well at 1Gb speeds on CAT 5 cable as the original spec say they should - there is no real need to instlall cat5e, cat 6 or any other type of wiring unless you attempting to extend beyond the 100 metre boundary specified in the spec,  You may also need to do if if your wiring was installed badly and you have runs that are parallel and close to power wiring.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@viafax999 wrote:

@tns_2 wrote:

Maybe not internet speeds of 1Gb but I certainly use all my internal network inter connectivity as gig speeds.  I use the VZ router as a gateway to the internet and then have ther rest of the house on my own GigE routers connected to the VZ router,  All the devices run perfectly well at 1Gb speeds on CAT 5 cable as the original spec say they should - there is no real need to instlall cat5e, cat 6 or any other type of wiring unless you attempting to extend beyond the 100 metre boundary specified in the spec,  You may also need to do if if your wiring was installed badly and you have runs that are parallel and close to power wiring.

Figure everything going on in the house, then add on what is happening on the WAN pipe.

ALL of my FiOS Goes or CAN go IP once inside the house depending on the Viewing. I can be recording like 2 HD channels and viewing 6 IP Verizon channels at various locations in the house. Or recording X and viewing X. I have 8 tuners any or all can go IP on the LAN.

Now I don't think the Actiontec can do that much on MOCA I know it can't! There were enough isues with two. The new server will be ineresting how they manage the streaming on the nework, I wonder if the client will need Ethernet, or if you can run them on MOCA. I bet there will be a cut off point. More that X and you will need Ethernet I bet. Don't know, and was never told even though I had my hands on them.

That was a bit taxing on the GigE router CPU and memory. My Actiontech GigE routers yes I said routers, I have double NAT. With the TP-Link TL-GS3216 Layer2 16 Port Managed Switch there are no switch bottle necks in my house. Gigabit a plenty. With CAT6.

0 Likes
HortonThruggle

You wrote: " I am running two PCs as extenders.'  I assume you mean you are running PCs as Windows Media Center extenders.

Would you mind telling me how you did this.  Or are you just saying the the PCs have access to the Ceton tuner? 

Thanks.

0 Likes