[Gigabit] Slow Connection Speeds Through Ethernet and WiFi
Not applicable

Hey,

I recently updated to Gigabit connection (940D/880U) since my previous plan, 300D/300U, wasn’t suitable for the amount of devices I have on my network (12, several of which are used for streaming and gaming). After receiving my Fios Extender, I’ve encountered slow speeds for surrounding devices. My phone occasionally loads websites slowly, and my gaming console, which is connected through Ethernet via Fios Extender, gets download speeds of 80mbps - 120mbps (though I’m occasionally lucky to receive 200mbps+). My main router provides exactly what I pay for, while an Ethernet connected computer gives me 500mbps via extender, but is there a way to resolve my connectivity issue and get the speeds I’ve paid for with the extender?

I’ve tried re-syncing the extender via Ethernet and WPS, as well as restart the Fios router (main and extender). My Ethernet cable works fine, so that definitely isn’t the issue.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: [Gigabit] Slow Connection Speeds Through Ethernet and WiFi
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anonymous wrote:

My router is at a position where if I move it slightly, it’ll show a yellow light lol.

Just tried it and instantly disconnected. 

The router connects to the E3200 on the 5 GHz band on wifi. If you move things and it turns yellow that means it's too far to connect via wireless. As others have said, the best way to connect is with coax or ethernet. 

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, could you provide us with any information about your router and extender?

Let me guess, you have G1100 as the router and WCB6200Q as the extender and connected via Coax?

[incorrect assumption per OP's further posting] You need to upgrade the G1100 to an G3100 ($300). WCB6200Q is not compatible with G3100, so WCB6200Q needs to be upgraded to an E3200 ($200). We are looking at $500 one time payment here.

Not applicable

I currently have an E200 Fios Extender (as labeled behind the router). My service was activated two days ago. My router is a G1300 Fios Router.

The extender is connected via WiFi and has an Ethernet cable on LAN 1, servicing my room Xbox. The main router is connected with Ethernet to some black boxes provided to us by a Verizon technician (provides internet to router). The main router doesn’t have any other Ethernet cables connected to it.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The extended would be an E3200 as there wasn't an E200 to the best of my knowledge. The router is a G3100 as opposed to a G1300.

There are three ways to connect the 3200 to a 3100....Ethernet, coaxial cable and Wi-Fi.

Of those three choices, Ethernet is the preferred method while Wi-Fi is the least.

Is there any possible way to connect the extender to the router by a wired/cabled method? 🤔

Not applicable

Currently, no. We don’t have a cable long enough to go from the extender to the main router.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

My thought would be to, if at all possible, run a cable between the two units to provide a direct/dedicated path. If Wi-Fi is the only possible method, try moving the extender closer to the router.

Not applicable

Would that be possible? I thought moving it closer disconnects the Fios Extender because of limitations (20ft?).

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For testing purposes....try moving the extender closer to the router to see if the speed improves. 🙂

Not applicable

My router is at a position where if I move it slightly, it’ll show a yellow light lol.

Just tried it and instantly disconnected. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

My house isn’t crazy big, either, which is why I was concerned about the slow connection speed.

0 Likes