Gigabit speeds with coax ?
Zaf88
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all, just moved I to a new condo. It was pre-wired for spectrum w a coax running from each apt to the cellar where utilities come in. I want Fios so I called for install but they said I need an ethernet cable run to the basement. The building is poured concrete and would be very hard to get a cable down there. The other owners don't want lines running to the back facade so I can't do that either. I asked if we could convert the coax to ethernet he said yes but we wouldn't have gigabit speeds. Is this true ? Is there any workaround ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit speeds with coax ?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You really only have two options...

1. Put the verizon router with the ONT in the basement and use an E3200 extender on the other end of the coax. The new router and E3200 are MoCA 2.5 which supports speeds up to 2.5 gbps. 

2. Use your own router with a pair of 2.5 MoCA adapters. You don't have to mention this to verizon as it is not a supported method. Also the tech won't be responsible for this either. You will connect ethernet from the ONT to the 1st adapter then use the coax from the basement to the condo and connect to the 2nd adapter then finally to your router. 

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gigabit Internet would require the Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) 211 utilize the Ethernet port on the ONT. I believe that the latest Ethernet->MoCA (coaxial cable) converters could accommodate full speed, but I'll defer to Internet Forum CLs. 

Zaf88
Enthusiast - Level 1

When I called Fios they said they wouldn't even install it with the adapters bc they can't guarantee the speed. But the tech said he would do it but he also doesn't know what the speed will be. He just says that coax maxes out at 100mbps. Is anyone doing this , running fiber Fios to moca adapter to coax to moca adapter to devices, that can tell me the real life upload and download speeds you are achieving ?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gigabit requires an Ethernet connection between the ONT and the router.

The ONT's coax port can provide a WAN connection, but only at 100Mbps.

If you aren't getting TV service from Verizon, you can use your own MoCA adapters to create a gigabit link on the coax. Verizon does not support or install these.  You could get an install done with 100Mbps coax directly between the ONT and router, and then install your own adapters later.   One goes to the Ethernet port on the ONT and the other goes to the WAN Ethernet port on the router.  If you do this, there should be no other devices connected to the coax.

Another option is to see if Verizon will run the fiber into your apartment.  Fios is much better than cable services and Fios availablity adds value to properties.  Maybe this will help you convince the other owners to allow fiber or Ethernet runs.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You really only have two options...

1. Put the verizon router with the ONT in the basement and use an E3200 extender on the other end of the coax. The new router and E3200 are MoCA 2.5 which supports speeds up to 2.5 gbps. 

2. Use your own router with a pair of 2.5 MoCA adapters. You don't have to mention this to verizon as it is not a supported method. Also the tech won't be responsible for this either. You will connect ethernet from the ONT to the 1st adapter then use the coax from the basement to the condo and connect to the 2nd adapter then finally to your router. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

Great idea.  Thanks adding it to the thread!

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically for situations like this, where the apartment is only wired for coax, you can either pull an Ethernet or a fiber directly to your unit. For Multiple Dwelling Units upgrade, now the standard protocol is pulling fiber directly to each unit.

Ethernet converted to Coax then back to Ethernet is doable (max. 2.5Gbps), but would add 3ms to your pings. Additionally, this sounds like the ONT would still reside at a relatively insecure location open to someone wishing to tamper with your Internet connection or outright steal your Internet connect when you are out. ONT at a remote location is also difficult for bringing the analog phone line into your unit (if you happen to also order Fios Digital Voice).

Why don't you contact the owner or the property management to ask about what can be done to pull a fiber to your unit.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes