Gigabit speeds with Fios G1100 router?
bbchucks

Is it possible to achieve 800-900Mbits speeds with using Verizon's Quantum G1100 router?  

When I use fast.com or speedtest.net i'm only getting about 300-400Mbits.  With speedtest.verizon.net, it's showing 900-930Mbits for connection speed.  Device test was just 188Mbps/472.

I'm using a wired Macbook Pro '17 as the test device.

0 Likes
Re: Gigabit speeds with Fios G1100 router?
jonjones1
Legend

@bbchucks wrote:

Is it possible to achieve 800-900Mbits speeds with using Verizon's Quantum G1100 router?  

When I use fast.com or speedtest.net i'm only getting about 300-400Mbits.  With speedtest.verizon.net, it's showing 900-930Mbits for connection speed.  Device test was just 188Mbps/472.

I'm using a wired Macbook Pro '17 as the test device.

The router is capable of gig speed. However your testing sites are not accepted by Fios only their own. Based on that result Verizon states up to 940/880 so the test is showing that. Now the other sites show real world results with the direct slow downs and other internet snafus like sites not reachable, routed differently to sites etc.

device tests will always vary. Apple products are normally around 400 so 472 is pretty good. Depending on the device. Same for non Apple devices. It varies.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also keep in mind that when you go to different speedtest sites they will auto select the server for you. And in most cases that server you are testing with is not equipped to handle a gig. 

If you go to say speedtest.net and you use 10 different servers you will probably get 10 very different results.

The point of the gig download speed is not to say hey my 1 device is getting a gig. It’s that you have more bandwidth so essentially 10 people could be streaming a 4k video. 

jonjones1
Legend

You know you made a good point.

however even though I have the gigabyte service I found my same 24 devices (not all on at same time) which I had under 15/1 on cable are still stable and the gigabyte is just faster downloads etc. but now retired I don’t even need faster downloads. 

My days of visiting questionable web sites and downloading Napster etc are well over 😀

0 Likes
bbchucks

I found the culprit, since the macbook pro '17 doesn't have any eth ports - i'm using a dongle.  In addition the eth dongle is connected to my Monitor which feeds the laptop eth connection.

When i plug the dongle directly to my macbook...BAM - i'm getting 950+/950+!

does anyone have recommended G1100 settings?  do you use MPDU and MSDU?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@bbchucks wrote:

I found the culprit, since the macbook pro '17 doesn't have any eth ports - i'm using a dongle.  In addition the eth dongle is connected to my Monitor which feeds the laptop eth connection.

When i plug the dongle directly to my macbook...BAM - i'm getting 950+/950+!

does anyone have recommended G1100 settings?  do you use MPDU and MSDU?

I would just leave well enough alone. It’s working as it should, why tempt the internet gods? Personally I use a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 router. I don’t recommend the Quantum router G1100 for its terrible WiFi. Others however say it’s ok for a ethernet direct connection.

0 Likes