Gigabit With Own Router as Primary = Slower Speeds?
semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been using an eBay purchased quantum router in bridge mode with a Unifi USG as the primary for over a year with 300/300 service. The real-life speeds were fairly close. I just upgraded to gigabit service and ditched the FiOS tv package yesterday and my wifi speeds dropped to 60 Mbps from 150-200 Mbps. Before I spend a few days with multiple Verizon techs. I was hoping someone else may have a solution. Ultimately I want to replace the quantum with a moca adapter but I can't until I figure this out. Thanks for any insight.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gigabit With Own Router as Primary = Slower Speeds?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The USGs can do Gigabit speeds as long as Smart Queues and IPS/IDS are disabled and the L2 / Hardware Acceleration features are enabled. If any of those features are on, the USG 3P will cap off at 80-120Mbps, and the USG Pro 4 will cap off around 300-400Mbps. They have old MIPS processors and can't push traffic like their newer Dream Machines can, which do all of the routing in software on ARM processors.

The other thing to note is, if OP is running a speed test from the UniFi Controller, even if the USG itself is delivering 1Gbps of traffic, the speed test in the UniFi Controller runs off of the USG. The USG's CPU will bottleneck the speed test at the same speeds you'd expect to see if you didn't have hardware acceleration enabled.

A couple things do come to mind though.

1: Make sure the USG is fully updated. Firmware as far back as two years ago had issues with UDP traffic, and some of those issues also cascaded to TCP Traffic.

2: Turn off MSS Clamping. Not needed on FiOS as long as your network is already at an MTU of 1500 end to end.

3: Make sure Hardware Offload, Layer 2 Blocking Offload, and Offload Scheduler are all enabled.

4: If the USG is configured using Class A blocks on NAT, configure for Class B instead (old bug a while ago caused slow speeds if using Class As in some situations) and see if performance improves.

5: Log into the USG's CLI and run a `show interfaces ethernet detail` and look at each of your Interfaces. Make sure you do not see overrun, errors, or carrier collisions being reported for TX and RX on any interface.

I have a USG 3P on Gigabit DOCSIS and it handles the connection fine. A friend of mine has a Dream Machine Pro on FiOS and gets the full 940/940.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

That's strange. Upgrading broadband speed should not affect any layer 2 device behind the ONT. Are you sure that you did not make modifications to your network?

I am using a G1100 as an access point/switch/MoCA adapter, I am getting 350+Mbps on 5GHz a floor below and 500Mbps+ on ethernet.

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

No changes were made. I've tried rebooting the quantum and the Unifi but no luck.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you switch from moca to ethernet?

REFs

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15990

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15991

If not since you do not have FIOS TV, please do it.

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

There is ethernet from the ONT to the router. I'm now wondering do I need to put the quantum back as primary first, maybe reboot it so that the upgrade to gigabit "takes place". When I made the switch my router, a Unifi USG was primary and the quantum was in bridge mode. This is just a guess. When I connect hard wired to the quantum or the unifi I gett 500/500 ish not gigabit but I don't think I'll ever get the advertised speeds. I'm grasping at straws at this point and am dreading a call to verizon.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@semitech wrote:

I'm now wondering do I need to put the quantum back as primary first, maybe reboot it so that the upgrade to gigabit "takes place".

No, I don't think so. Gigabit upgrade does not affect the router behind the ONT. Gigabit upgrade only modifies the transmission rate between the Optical Line Terminal in the regional distribution center and the Optical Network Terminal on your premise. For the speed test, make sure your device is capable of handling encoding and decoding 1000Mbps of network traffic. I use Google Drive uploading and downloading over 1GB files (such as surveillance footage) to test the speed. I see my actual throughput through Windows Task Manager. Sometimes the speed test websites themselves have high traffic volume and low throughput. The recent "Google Drive Speed Test" shows mine is 800/783 Mbps at 100% CPU. If your CPU reaches full capacity during speed test, it seems your device is bottlenecking the throughput.

semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm downloading a video and the cpu stayed around 50-60 % , the throughput went as high 54mbps but stayed mostly around  30mbps.

0 Likes
semitech
Enthusiast - Level 3

when I run the verizon speedtest. apparently the only one they accept, the test starts , almost finishes the download part, gets to 980 Mbps but then it fails. I was on the phone with Verizon tech and their solution is to send me a new quantum router which is what I'm trying to avoid. The rep. made it sound as if gigabit is only possible with their crappy router.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@semitech wrote:

I'm downloading a video and the cpu stayed around 50-60 % , the throughput went as high 54mbps but stayed mostly around  30mbps.

Can you maybe change a device to try to download something big? Maybe increase your sample size n = 2+.

What is the link protocol? 802.11 a, b, g, n, or ac?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@semitech wrote:

when I run the verizon speedtest. apparently the only one they accept, the test starts , almost finishes the download part, gets to 980 Mbps but then it fails.

The rep. made it sound as if gigabit is only possible with their crappy router.

The speed test on the main Verizon website glitches if you don't have a Verizon router as the primary. Use the one right here in the Forum. You can find an image to the right of the page (or bottom of the screen if you are using a phone) saying "A simple speed test to check your connection." Click it (it is actually a link), it will pop up the device speed test iframe.

Customer service representative does have a point there. Some routers, even Cisco Small Business ones, only support a NAT throughput of 600Mbps. In terms of speed, G1100 actually beats Cisco RV160.

Are you sure you can get 900Mbps+ from G1100's LAN ports? Maybe you already described in the post above, I am just double checking.