Good Download speeds but bad upload
dmokeler

Im currently getting anywhere from 18megs up for download speeds but getting a measly 520kbs upload speed. Is this normal? I hear about people getting much higher than that.

Dave

0 Likes
Re: Good Download speeds but bad upload
Wolvie

I'm on a 20/20 plan and every couple months my upload speeds drop to 3ish so I've been through this a couple times, actually currently going through it again, so try some of these. I like speedtest.net for testing the upload speed, it's got tons of servers to test against, but be sure to use Verizons as well. If/when you call for support they will try and blame your PC and the speedtest sites over and over again, so I suggest you get access to at least 1 laptop plus your PC, if you can get more and test each of these againsts all the computers, turning off any firewalls for the test, that will at least get them to concede that it might be the service.

1. Run the FIOS speed optimizer and test

2. Reboot the Router (unplug for around 30 seconds) then test

3. Reboot the ONT (Basically unplug it and disconnect the battery, wait 2 minutes and reconnect) and test

4. Make sure QOS isn't autodetecting and setting upload speeds on the router. (If you're using there router don't worry about this.)

5. In the router settings you want to go to the internet connection settings and choose release to release your IP address, then disconnect the internet line from the router and plug it straight into your computer and test. Be sure to release your IP again from your PC before connecting it back to the router. Failure to release before disconnecting the devices from the internet will cause a massive wait time while the DHCP server gets confused about who it's talking too.

If all this fails then you've got two likely scenarios. Most likely you have a bad ONT, or you have a bad PON. I've had both so far, with this being now my third failure It'll be interesting to see what it is this time.

0 Likes
Re: Good Download speeds but bad upload
KlassiK
Enthusiast - Level 3

Try to restore your router's firmware. Do that, then do a sped test.

0 Likes