Google wifi vs. Netgear Nighthawk?
xxnonamexx

Best router google wifi or netgear nighthawk?

0 Likes
Re: Google wifi vs. Netgear Nighthawk?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Google wifi is a mesh system.  I don't now if Netgear's Nighthawk series has a mesh model yet.  Their ORBi series is pushed as a triband mesh solution.  As a individual router I suspect the Nighthawk wins.  Mesh systems use multible devices to fill in the gaps in signal in many homes.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

Best router google wifi or netgear nighthawk?

Ha ha I am prejudiced 😀 

I use and own Netgear Nighthawk R8500 and I use a Netgear Nighthawk extender out in the yard. They work perfectly.

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

I have Fios Quantum router. Should I just swap it out for the nighthawk and it should reach further to my outside 20' from router outside? Or should I go wifi mesh system? Is the mesh an add on to the fios router?

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

There are many nighthawks which is the one I need?  I do no gaming and have pcs, phones, thermostats, tvs, tablets connected.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

I have Fios Quantum router. Should I just swap it out for the nighthawk and it should reach further to my outside 20' from router outside? Or should I go wifi mesh system? Is the mesh an add on to the fios router?

Like I said I prefer the Nighthawk but remember if you ever need tech support past the ONT Verizon will not support inside to the router unless it is verizons branded.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

There are many nighthawks which is the one I need?  I do no gaming and have pcs, phones, thermostats, tvs, tablets connected.

I use the R8500 but any high end router and mid priced routers will suffice.

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

What do you recommend if you had a top 3 to cover entire 2 story House and outside. Nighthawk hash differentd versions i looked then up butb reviews were not thatt good. Thanks

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@xxnonamexx wrote:

What do you recommend if you had a top 3 to cover entire 2 story House and outside. Nighthawk hash differentd versions i looked then up butb reviews were not thatt good. Thanks

Like I said I use it. So it does not mean you have to.

if you research the Netgear Nighthawks the new R9000 and my R8500 they are listed as top of the line. It depends where also the review comes from.

check out Asus or Archer see what works best for you.

the great thing about reviews they give you “ideas” to plan out your home setup.

position and coverage number of devices and band coverage.

a new one I just seen on tv is this https://eero.com

and of course Netgear Orbi system is according to PC World and PC Magazine the top of the top. 

You decide.

0 Likes
xxnonamexx

You have a netgear nighthawk router and an extender for outside? Shouldn't the router take care of the outside as well? I read somewhere if I get another router I would have to connect it to the verizon router to use as a bypass?

0 Likes