Re: google / youtube slow over fios. Definitely verizon's fault (research inside), please fix
Kardinal

I'd been having this issue for a long time and had worked around it by blocking the CDN (blocking that range of IP's some have mentioned), but today, miraculously, YouTube is fast without that.  A fellow FIOS user on Google Plus mentioned that his YouTube issues were fixed this morning, and so I checked mine, and mine are as well.

I'm desperately curious what Verizon did to fix it, but it seems to work perfectly now.  None of the hesitation, no spining wheels, no queuing...just smoooothe 1080P.

(50/50 FIOS in Fairfax, VA)

0 Likes
Re: google / youtube slow over fios. Definitely verizon's fault (research inside), please fix
jcoxiii
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish i was seeing the same, 1 or 2 videos from Epic Meal Time loaded fast and played at 1080p, but that was short lived. Now not even playing, I have 50/15, tired over wired and wireless, and I'm the only one on the network. Located in the southern Balitmore MD Suburbs.

0 Likes
toozie21

I am having the EXACT same issues.  Evenings are alway worse, but it is basically not usable at that point.  I can do a speedtest and get 25/5Mbps, yet I have the same bottleneck!

0 Likes
wonslung

This problem is very real.   It's been happening for months in richmond va and effects everyone i know with fios.

When i call customer support they either act like i'm crazy or put me through a bunch of hoops that don't work and never COULD work.   Finally today i was able to get one of them to admit that it is a real issue, but they wouldn't take any of the blame, saying that it's google's fault, and i should contact google.   I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the proper channel to contact google, but ultimately couldn't find the proper contact info.  They do have a phone number but they aren't taking any support calls on a sunday.

One other thing, as a work around i've been using free proxies or a vpn.   This proves that the problem is between verizon and google somewhere...Someone is dropping the ball.  

0 Likes
Taffer

I am in Midlothian VA, near Richmond.

This crap is driving me crazy. Youtube is my second most visited site after Google search itself. Which is a shame, because I can barely watch Youtube on FIOS. It's pure luck whether or not it's going to let me watch. I don't mean it takes a long time to load either; it just doesn't load videos at all, a great deal of the time.

I've already gone through support and had them waste my time with fixes that did absolutely nothing. I first got fed up with it back around April 2013. At some point after that the problem seemed to go away so I forgot about it. It is now September 2013 and I can't watch Youtube again.

If this keeps happening, I'm afraid I'm going to have to switch back to Comcast. I don't care for Comcast, but at least I could watch Youtube.

This really sucks. I have absolutely no problem with ANYTHING else. All websites are perfect, gaming, etc is just perfect, BUT YOUTUBE is IMPOSSIBLE with FIOS.

We are talking about FIOS! Why must it be this way? Verizon, step up your game.

0 Likes
NetBias
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow. I am also in MIdlothian. There is another thread about Youtube as well, and I can confirm it is purely a Verizon issue today. Comcast works fine. However, I have seen Comcast fail in the past as well.

The bottom line is that this is a net neutrality issue. Verizon does not keep up with Cogent's bandwith requirements because then they only get paid once instead of twice, if you stream RedBox.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make...

And no, buying more bandwidth from Verizon won't help.

toozie21

I had the same problem, it resolved itself, and now it is back again.  It is a pretty embarrassing problem in my mind, but it doesn't seem to bother Verizon much...

0 Likes
specialp
Enthusiast - Level 1

The reason why it does not bother Verizon is that they want Youtube and Netflix to be slow.  You see Verizon could CDN with them but they refuse to.  CDN means Google and Netflix put in caching servers to make it so you do not have to leave the Verizon network to get content.  Cablevison users have no problem with YouTube and Netflix being practically unwatchable during peak times due to the fact that Cablevision CDNs. Many ISPs CDN.  

Google and Netflix have offered to put in these CDN servers for free.  Verizon refuses because they view them as a threat to their TV business and they want them to pay transit to their network.  Make no mistake this could be solved very easily but they are being greedy.  What is the point in advertising super fast connections when the connection to the 2 biggest bandwidth sources is slow?!  Most people do not know the game of ISP peering so they presume it is the content provider's fault.  It is partially but Verizon is being uncooperative.

0 Likes
sdcjn

SAME ISSUE HERE in PA.  Been happening for months on and off.  It's been really bad the past week - been in touch with support 3 times and no resolution yet.

0 Likes