GPON ONT upgrade
angeloalberico

Hi,

I'm currently on a BPON ONT as I was one of the early installs in my neighborhood.  How can I find out if it's possible to get a GPON ONT installed.  

I have the 75/35 service provisioned for Ethernet to the router (cisco ASA) but only seem to max out the speed (via wired ethernet to my desktop) at 58mbps while at my office down the street, we are provisioned for the same level of service and have an identical setup (provisioned Ethernet to Cisco ASA router) and we easily get > 80mbps down.

0 Likes
Re: GPON ONT upgrade
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

you can contact the local Verizon Business office. or Call to Tech Support and have them check the NT or upper level tech if that could be possible. I do not know if you switch from that.  which ONT u have 612? or 1000G?  It may not be possible. it does not hurt to call them and ask?

good luck

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You're talking to other customers here.  Your issue looks like one that Verizon support can help with.  The "contact us" link at the bottom of this page provides various options for reaching them.

You should be able to get the provisioned speed over a wired link.  How are you testing the speed?  I suggest using Verizon's speed test.  I routinely get the 60Mbps I'm subscribed to.

http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-quantum-internet/speedtest.html

Do you have a 100Mbps or 1Gbps Ethernet?  75Mbps is getting close to the limit of a 100Mbps link.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

VZ is not going to upgrade you to a GPON ONT unless you order a speed tier that requires it.

0 Likes
angeloalberico

@gs0b wrote:

You're talking to other customers here.  Your issue looks like one that Verizon support can help with.  The "contact us" link at the bottom of this page provides various options for reaching them.

You should be able to get the provisioned speed over a wired link.  How are you testing the speed?  I suggest using Verizon's speed test.  I routinely get the 60Mbps I'm subscribed to.

http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-quantum-internet/speedtest.html

Do you have a 100Mbps or 1Gbps Ethernet?  75Mbps is getting close to the limit of a 100Mbps link.

Good Luck.

I seem to remember there being a forum where VZ techs would respond.

I'll try calling the local office (if it's possible) to see what I can figure out.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@Anti-Phish wrote:

VZ is not going to upgrade you to a GPON ONT unless you order a speed tier that requires it.

TL/DR: Focus on poor speeds and trying everything else but replacing the ONT and not BPON v. GPON.

OP might have better luck just claiming (accurately) that he isn't getting the promised speed, documenting the troubleshooting he did, and suggesting that the ONT is to blame, maybe not even mentioning GPON at all. I think Verizon will, after forcing you through a million troubleshooting steps, offer to replace your ONT. I'd suspect that they'd replace with a GPON unit since the extra cost of the unit is probably less than having to reinstall when and if a person decides to upgrade their speed and they are likely more reliable esp. if a user is complaining. Even if they replace with BPON, if it is able to give the right speed, OP should be happy, maybe it won't be quite as high over 75mbps as in his office.

Not to say that you can't mention GPON at all, but the more you focus on it and not the lack of promised speeds, the more resistance you'll face. I'd definately bring it up once they commit to replacing the ONT.

0 Likes
angeloalberico

@VUser50 wrote:

@Anti-Phish wrote:

TL/DR: Focus on poor speeds and trying everything else but replacing the ONT and not BPON v. GPON.

OP might have better luck just claiming (accurately) that he isn't getting the promised speed, documenting the troubleshooting he did, and suggesting that the ONT is to blame, maybe not even mentioning GPON at all. I think Verizon will, after forcing you through a million troubleshooting steps, offer to replace your ONT. I'd suspect that they'd replace with a GPON unit since the extra cost of the unit is probably less than having to reinstall when and if a person decides to upgrade their speed and they are likely more reliable esp. if a user is complaining. Even if they replace with BPON, if it is able to give the right speed, OP should be happy, maybe it won't be quite as high over 75mbps as in his office.

Not to say that you can't mention GPON at all, but the more you focus on it and not the lack of promised speeds, the more resistance you'll face. I'd definately bring it up once they commit to replacing the ONT.

Yeah that makes sense.  I'll give them a call, I geniunely believe it's the BPON ONT that I have which is limiting top speed.  Once we got on the GPON at the office it started smoking!

0 Likes