Have G3100 router, want to replace with G1100. Will I lose any cable service features?
Teers1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I currently have a G3100 router for my FiOS service. I want to buy a second hand G1100 router and replace the G3100.

Obviously I'll lose whatever features the G3100 router offers for wifi and internet connectivity, however, will I lose any features for the cable service, such as guide data/menus or other features?

Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Have G3100 router, want to replace with G1100. Will I lose any cable service features?
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In general, no. You may get into a bit of silliness when you first switch over. I'm actually not certain this is still the case, but it used to be that Verizon's DHCP server leased IP addresses based on your router's MAC address. Your new router will have a new MAC address. The minimum lease time used to be three hours, meaning if you just happened to connect your new router right after your other router leased a new IP address, you might have to wait up to three hours to get Internet connectivity back.

I'm not sure that is still the case though. I was switching between a couple of routers doing some testing a while back, and I didn't seem to have to wait at all. It's the coax line itself that has to be activated along with your account. That will still be the case, so there are no activation steps that I know of. I didn't activate any of the routers (in fact, I couldn't since they weren't Verizon routers), and was able to use them all.

View solution in original post

Re: Have G3100 router, want to replace with G1100. Will I lose any cable service features?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

No.

Teers1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for the reply. When I get a G1100, does it work upon connecting it to the coax line, or does it have to be activated by FiOS first?

Thanks again for your reply.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In general, no. You may get into a bit of silliness when you first switch over. I'm actually not certain this is still the case, but it used to be that Verizon's DHCP server leased IP addresses based on your router's MAC address. Your new router will have a new MAC address. The minimum lease time used to be three hours, meaning if you just happened to connect your new router right after your other router leased a new IP address, you might have to wait up to three hours to get Internet connectivity back.

I'm not sure that is still the case though. I was switching between a couple of routers doing some testing a while back, and I didn't seem to have to wait at all. It's the coax line itself that has to be activated along with your account. That will still be the case, so there are no activation steps that I know of. I didn't activate any of the routers (in fact, I couldn't since they weren't Verizon routers), and was able to use them all.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon used to allow only one active lease per ONT, with an expiration of two hours (not three).

They now allow two active leases per ONT, which makes it painless to switch.  No more releasing the WAN IP and unplugging before the router re-grabs the address.

Just unplug the old router, plug in the new one and go.

Teers1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@gs0b

Thanks so much for answering all my questions.