Help! Question regarding relocating my current fios computer to another room in my house....
RUSTEDNOVA

Hello!

First post here and I am sure this is a rookie question!

I currently have the Fios triple play set up. I want to move my computer from my home's "office" to my master bedroom. The office is going to be converted into my son's new room.

My problem and question is this, my bedroom has a TV hooked up to the wall's "cable" connection  for fios TV and it is the only hook up in the room. Am I correct that I can not hook the computer up to this cable as well? Meaning I can't split the feed?

If not, would any cable outlet currently in any wall of my house serve as a conduit for the fios? For instance if I have another room in the house that does not have a TV in it, yet has a "cable" connect in the wall, can I hook the modem to that and run my computer as wireless as long as my house has the fios box?

If I go wireles, what I do I need to hook into the computer?

Also, if I go wireless, I have no idea what ny password is for my computer/router . All I have is my Router IP and a user name that originally came with the package 2 years ago. Does this help me??

Thanks for the response and type slow so I understand. Ha Ha.

Bill

0 Likes
Re: Help! Question regarding relocating my current fios computer to another room in my house....
prisaz
Legend

Welcome to the forums.

Actually the Verizon Supplied device is a router and not a modem. But does use higher frequencies on the coax, similar to a cable modem.

You can use a splitter in your master bedroom, but the splitter would need to be bi-directional and support higher frequencies. Any splitter that states bi-directional and cable modem ready should work just fine. Remember the splitter will usually attenuate the signal 3.5 db or more so you should not have to many in series. I have two 4 way splitters on my coax and have not run into any issues. This assumes that the coax WAN port is in use in your router, and the Ethernet WAN port is not. You could also place the router anywhere that has a coax to the Verizon supplied coax splitter. But that would also move your router, ethernet ports, and wireless to that location.

0 Likes
Re: Help! Question regarding relocating my current fios computer to another room in my house....
RUSTEDNOVA
Thank you for the quick response! OK... for those of us new to the whole fios/wireless/router thing (me):

"You can use a splitter in your master bedroom, but the splitter would need to be bi-directional and support higher frequencies. Any splitter that states bi-directional and cable modem ready should work just fine. Remember the splitter will usually attenuate the signal 3.5 db or more so you should not have to many in series."

What do you mean by having too many in a series? Wouldn't I buy one "splitter" that has the cable from the wall that goes into it then two wires coming out - one to the TV and one to the computer's router?

"This assumes that the coax WAN port is in use in your router, and the Ethernet WAN port is not." I do not understand the answer here. What is a WAN? I know, I'm a rookie. This whole sentence is like reading russian to me.

"You could also place the router anywhere that has a coax to the Verizon supplied coax splitter. But that would also move your router, ethernet ports, and wireless to that location." So is the answer here that if there is a coax connection in the wall in my house, I can move the router to that room/wall? Set the router in that new room and simply place the computer where I choose as long as the computer can recive wireless?

Thanks?

Bill 

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

#2 If you go to http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Actiontec_MI424WR_Verizon_back.png

The Ethernet WAN port is the gray looking port on the back of the router (near the bottom).

The coax WAN port is the red looking port on the back of the router (at the bottom).

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@RUSTEDNOVA wrote:
Thank you for the quick response! OK... for those of us new to the whole fios/wireless/router thing (me):

"You can use a splitter in your master bedroom, but the splitter would need to be bi-directional and support higher frequencies. Any splitter that states bi-directional and cable modem ready should work just fine. Remember the splitter will usually attenuate the signal 3.5 db or more so you should not have to many in series."

What do you mean by having too many in a series? Wouldn't I buy one "splitter" that has the cable from the wall that goes into it then two wires coming out - one to the TV and one to the computer's router?

Series meaning one splitter connected to another and then to another. Everytime the signal passes through a splitter it is attenuated and the level drops.

Yes one to the STB and the other to the router. But if you connect a new splitter to an existing cable, the existing cable is most likely running from a splitter. Unless the existing cable is running directly to the ONT. This would be two splitters in Series which would not be a problem.

"This assumes that the coax WAN port is in use in your router, and the Ethernet WAN port is not." I do not understand the answer here. What is a WAN? I know, I'm a rookie. This whole sentence is like reading russian to me.

Sorry, but if you look on the back of the router one connection is coax and can be used for a Wide Area Network (WAN) and the other is an Ethernet WAN port. The WAN is to the Internet, Wide Area Network, and LAN is the Local Area Network in your house.

"You could also place the router anywhere that has a coax to the Verizon supplied coax splitter. But that would also move your router, ethernet ports, and wireless to that location." So is the answer here that if there is a coax connection in the wall in my house, I can move the router to that room/wall?

Yes if the COAX is connected to the Verizon FIOS splitter. Remember older coax may be RG-59 and not RG-6 that should be used. So if you have existing coax it could become an issue.

Set the router in that new room and simply place the computer where I choose as long as the computer can recive wireless?

Yes. If the origional location of the router is in the basement, the wireless may work better if the router is upstairs or on the middle floor. Remember if your main computer is wireless, it may not get the most efficient use of your FIOS service. As apposed to being hard wired to the router with a CAT5 cable. Wireless has many things that can effect the signal and speed.

Thanks?

Bill 

0 Likes