Help with PLEX server issues
jsomethin

Hi

I'm trying to get my Plex server accessible outside of my network, and I'm running into issues. 

I have  a FIOS G-1100 router, and I'm getting a "Not available outside your network" error in my Plex Remote Access page. 

It occasionally will work, but other times won't. 

I had a friend try to set up some port forwarding, but it didn't fix it, so I'm hoping to find a guide or something, as this can't be that much of a non-standard thing.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with PLEX server issues
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plex's WAN Discover-ability feature is a little buggy. After you believe you've completed your Port Forwarding steps and have allowed Plex through your computer's firewall, use a tool like GRC ShieldsUp to test that your port is open: https://www.grc.com/shieldsup . Alternatively, since Plex stands up an HTTP server, you can use your cell phone's mobile data to test with a web browser. Visit https://<your-ip-address-here>:32400/ and you should get a response if all is working. You can get your IP Address by asking Google what your IP address is, or from the GRC site linked above.

If all is well, when you have complaints of a client being unable to reach your server, see if they can access it using the same method I provided above for testing from a cell phone.

I have been having problems with Plex on Cell phone and Smart TV devices lately, which seemed to happen shortly after a recent server upgrade. There was an update a few days ago which seems to have sorted that problem for me, as I haven't needed to restart my Plex server. It seemed to be triggered whenever the Transcoder was triggered.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jsomethin wrote:

It occasionally will work, but other times won't. 

Since you said that, here is/are things to check/do.

#1 Some how and way make the Plex Server's IP Address Static. When I said that, I do not mean the external / WAN IP Address - I mean the Internal / LAN / NATTED one.

#2 If that does not fix the issue, please report back what the UPnP setting in the router is set to. At this time, do not change it unless you are sure of what you are doing.

jsomethin

Server has a static lease type

Port forwarding services: Destination Ports 32400,32400

UPnP Enabled is checked

Enable Automatic Cleanup is checked

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Change from

UPnP Enabled is checked

Enable Automatic Cleanup is checked

to

UPnP Enabled is not checked

#2 Save the settings.

#3 Prepare to Reboot the router.

Note: That could mean turn off and then turn back on the power to the router.

Since you are rebooting the router, tell others that the router is going to rebooted. Make sure to tell them to save their work. If they are doing something is real time (like using skype), find a time to reboot the router.

#4 As directed reboot the router.

#5 Report back the results after the power is back on to the router and you have Internet Access.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Plex's WAN Discover-ability feature is a little buggy. After you believe you've completed your Port Forwarding steps and have allowed Plex through your computer's firewall, use a tool like GRC ShieldsUp to test that your port is open: https://www.grc.com/shieldsup . Alternatively, since Plex stands up an HTTP server, you can use your cell phone's mobile data to test with a web browser. Visit https://<your-ip-address-here>:32400/ and you should get a response if all is working. You can get your IP Address by asking Google what your IP address is, or from the GRC site linked above.

If all is well, when you have complaints of a client being unable to reach your server, see if they can access it using the same method I provided above for testing from a cell phone.

I have been having problems with Plex on Cell phone and Smart TV devices lately, which seemed to happen shortly after a recent server upgrade. There was an update a few days ago which seems to have sorted that problem for me, as I haven't needed to restart my Plex server. It seemed to be triggered whenever the Transcoder was triggered.