Help with the Motorola ONT1000GJ4
JuniperQueens

Hello! I am a current Verizon FiOS customer and have one of the oldest (if not, the oldest ONT) installed. I have the Motorola ONT1000GJ4. I am trying to look for a manual for the Motorola ONT1000GJ4 online but have not been successful.

We are looking to change our service from 50/50 mbps to 200/200 mbps. 

• Will this ONT support 200/200 mbps? Will I need a new ONT installed?
  • Will this connection be via MOCA or Ethernet?
  • Will my my Actiontec MI424WR rev. I Router work with the 200/200 mbps?
  • I would like to minimize any charges involved and would like to do the upgrading myself.

Thank you very much for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with the Motorola ONT1000GJ4
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

All speeds above 100Mbps require Ethernet from the ONT to the router.

The ONT1000GJ4 is an older BPON unit that will need to be upgraded to a GPON unit for speeds above 100Mpbs.  ONTs are property of Verizon and part of their network.  They do not allow self installs.  Only a Verizon tech can upgrade ONTs.  If you order online or through chat, they may waive the upgrade fee.

The Actiontec Rev I. is out of support from both Verizon and Actiontec.  It no longer receives critical security updates.  It has very slow WiFi by today's standards.  You should replace it as soon as possible due to the security risk.  If you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can use any router you like, although non-Verizon router won't be supported by them.  If you want a Verizon router, you can pickup used G1100's online for well under $50.  They are an excellent low cost option.

You should contact Verizon to get answers specific to your contract and install.  Chat is a good way to reach them.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is my understanding that the old Motorola ONTs will not support the higher bracket of Internet speeds. I have a Tellabs 611 and that maxes out at my current 75/75.

So, these older ONTs will need to be replaced with a newer model that is manufactured by Alcatel-Lucent (Nokia) in order to be able to bump up Internet speed.

For that, Verizon has to dispatch a technician and I think that there will be a non negotiable charge for the work.

The connection should be via an Ethernet cable between the ONT and router.

Verizon no longer supports the 424 router. I don't know what the maximum speed of the unit is. The specs might be found via a Google search.

My personal opinion is that the equipment is old. It is very much functional, but, in order to take advantage of the higher Internet speeds that did not exist when we both signed up for FiOS, an upgrade is inevitable.

Side note...I  upgraded my router to the G3100 and added a pair of E3200 extenders. Everything is working quite well. 🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

On second thought, 200/200 might be supported by the coaxial cable. To get the full Gigabit speed, an Ethernet cable must be used.

jonjones1
Legend

It is very doubtful that unless you have tv and phone included in your service that it will be moca (coaxial) install.

verizon normally charges for this service but you can negotiate the roll out fee if you tell them you are going to keep their service and increase your service speed.

the installer will place the ONT where they deem fit. ONT today can be placed inside since they are no bigger than a router. Amazing technology 

they can only move the Fios cabling not done by the customer.

give them a call they might be able to waive the install fee due to it being an upgrade.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

All speeds above 100Mbps require Ethernet from the ONT to the router.

The ONT1000GJ4 is an older BPON unit that will need to be upgraded to a GPON unit for speeds above 100Mpbs.  ONTs are property of Verizon and part of their network.  They do not allow self installs.  Only a Verizon tech can upgrade ONTs.  If you order online or through chat, they may waive the upgrade fee.

The Actiontec Rev I. is out of support from both Verizon and Actiontec.  It no longer receives critical security updates.  It has very slow WiFi by today's standards.  You should replace it as soon as possible due to the security risk.  If you don't have Verizon set-top-boxes, you can use any router you like, although non-Verizon router won't be supported by them.  If you want a Verizon router, you can pickup used G1100's online for well under $50.  They are an excellent low cost option.

You should contact Verizon to get answers specific to your contract and install.  Chat is a good way to reach them.