High Ping & Jitter
KP0306

Hi guys,

I live in Diamond Bar, California, about 30 miles away from downtown Los Angeles.

The only hobby I have is playing Street Fighter (Smiley Very Happy) on Xbox every weekend.  My wife always tells me that I'm too old to beat those young guys, oh well, I'm really enjoying this haha.

I've been doing ok with my FiOS internet until I had an outage a few weeks ago.  After they fixed the outage, I get high ping and jitter all of a sudden.

I usually go to www.pingtest.net to gauge my ping and jitter.  I usually click on the servers below:

Los Angeles, CA

Newbury Park, CA

Before the outage, I used to get 9 or 10 ping, 1 or 2 jitter, no packet loss.  It was perfect always.

But now I get around 100 ping, 2 or 3 jitter on Los Angeles, CA

around 15 ping, around 15 jitter on Newbury Park, CA

I get even lower ping and jitter from a server from the East Coast.  This is weird.

I used to play this game without any lag, but these days, it's pretty sluggish and is frustrating.  I tried to call Verizon to speak with their techs, but you know, nothing has been fixed.  I'm really sick of waiting on the phone for 20, 30 minutes, transfering me here and there, reading scripts...

I did a tracert on google and yahoo, I don't think my router, modem or the ONT?? have any issues.  But I can upload again if it's necessary?  But which site will be better to test my ping??

Thank you very much guys. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: High Ping & Jitter
Ian_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hi there KP0306, I'm sorry you're suddenly having issues with your connectivity to Xbox Live.  I know personally how frustrating it can be to lag while gaming. 

The issue that you're having can be challenging to fix because there are many factors to online gaming.  Its very possible that the game server you're using now has issues.  It's possible that the time of day that you are gaming has become more popular and therefore causing bottlenecks on the servers you are connecting to.  First you'll want to isolate the issue, try another game, see if the lag continues. 

A high ping doesn't necessarily mean that your equipment, or service has issues.  The ping command is a great tool to monitor the travel time to a specific website, and you don't need to visit a website to use it.  If you use a Windows based computer you can send a ping easily from the command prompt:

1. Open the Command Window, which allows you to use command line utilities. Click "Start" and select "Run." Type "cmd" in the box that pops up. Click "OK" or hit "Enter."
  2. Type "ping" in the Command Window.
  3. Hit the space bar once.
  4. Type the website address that you want to ping, after the space. For example, if you want to ping Verizon, type "www.verizon.com" after the space.
  5. Hit "Enter." If the website is up and actively responding, you receive four to five replies back from the server that you pinged.
  6. Analyze the information. The lower the round trip number in milliseconds, the better. The higher the round trip number in milliseconds, the higher the latency, which may indicate a network problem between your computer and the server you pinged.

I hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions.  Have a great day!

View solution in original post

Re: High Ping & Jitter
Ian_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

Hi there KP0306, I'm sorry you're suddenly having issues with your connectivity to Xbox Live.  I know personally how frustrating it can be to lag while gaming. 

The issue that you're having can be challenging to fix because there are many factors to online gaming.  Its very possible that the game server you're using now has issues.  It's possible that the time of day that you are gaming has become more popular and therefore causing bottlenecks on the servers you are connecting to.  First you'll want to isolate the issue, try another game, see if the lag continues. 

A high ping doesn't necessarily mean that your equipment, or service has issues.  The ping command is a great tool to monitor the travel time to a specific website, and you don't need to visit a website to use it.  If you use a Windows based computer you can send a ping easily from the command prompt:

1. Open the Command Window, which allows you to use command line utilities. Click "Start" and select "Run." Type "cmd" in the box that pops up. Click "OK" or hit "Enter."
  2. Type "ping" in the Command Window.
  3. Hit the space bar once.
  4. Type the website address that you want to ping, after the space. For example, if you want to ping Verizon, type "www.verizon.com" after the space.
  5. Hit "Enter." If the website is up and actively responding, you receive four to five replies back from the server that you pinged.
  6. Analyze the information. The lower the round trip number in milliseconds, the better. The higher the round trip number in milliseconds, the higher the latency, which may indicate a network problem between your computer and the server you pinged.

I hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions.  Have a great day!