Highlevel tech @ FIOS said FIOS has issues routing 2 Google and I should always do a ping 2 yahoo?
Bemaller
Enthusiast - Level 2

A Higher level tech at Verizon told me Verizon has issues routing to Google and I should always do a ping test to yahoo???????? Really!!!!!!! Seriously!!!!!

I am in the DC metro area and I have a Business Fios 150/50 with a static block of 63 IP’s . I am not using a router or firewall; I have a several windows server going right into the Fios line with a static IP assigned to it.  For at least the past 5 weeks almost every Friday  early evening I am losing connection every few minutes, I ran a ping test on Google and it times out on an average of every 10th ping.  When I ping Yahoo it never times out but does vary in speed anywhere from 20ms to 282ms.  This problem usually goes away by Saturday morning but this weekend it is still going on. I also have a location in TX that also has a fios line 25/25 with a block of 5 static ips and I am seeing the same issues there when I have the same issues in my DC/MD location.

I have had my fios line now for about 8 months, when I first got it we set it up with a block of 5 to test for 30 days. Everything seemed fine so we decided we would go ahead and use the fios for our main provider. We went ahead and switched out the block of 5 for a block of 63. We started having issues with the new block almost right away and called tech support and immediately made them send me to a Higher level tech. the Higher level tech said that Verizon has issues routing to Google and I should always do a ping test to yahoo????????long story short on the first issues we had on our new block after many calls with tech support sending ping results and tracer results I finally got through to another Higher level tech and she noticed that the block of ips were not correctly configured on verizons side they had the subnet set wrong and she fixed it and everything seemed fine from then on, we would get great speed test results 164/64 was out best, we also were seeing great transfer rates between our locations in TX and in CA to our main fios location in MD. We then started seeing this current problem like I said about 5 weeks ago or so,

We also have 4 lines from Comcast with 2 of them assigned static IPs and the other 2 DHCP. We will run the same ping test and tracer routes on all 5 lines we have and the fios will always have some kind of timed out or take 3 times as long to route to certain sites or IP’s if it routes at all , I also have another location about 50 miles from my main fios location that also has Comcast and run the same test and no issues. I also have a data center in the DC metro area with backbone provider of saviss and also ran the same test there and have no issues as well.  I also ran ping test and Tracert test from my remote locations to my main fios location on both the fios line and Comcast line and do not have issues routing to either of them. 

I called tech support today and it took me over 10 minutes to explain to the girl on the line you do not need to have a router on a static IP for fios. She kept saying then they would not be able to trouble shoot the problem, I explained to her that the ont outside is the router for my location and they should be trying to communicate with that and anything past that box would obviously be my side of things.  She put me on hold and said she had to call a higher level tech and speak with them, When she came back she said I was right and that they didn’t need their equipment on there to test the line. She kept going back to the higher level tech she had on the other line who was asking her to have me run certain ping test and tracert test on the line. I would run the test on the fios lines as well as my Comcast line at the same time to see the difference and would always have problems on fios and not on Comcast. After about 30 minutes of this she came back on and said the higher level tech does see some problems between my ont and their first or second router after that. She said she had to schedule a tech to come to my location, For what I really do not know, but I said ok and they actually have someone coming tomorrow morning.

I really DO NOT think it is anything in my location or even my ont box outside. Like I said my location in TX is having the same issues when I have them in my main fios location in MD.  Also when I am not having issues and run a tracert to my servers in FL from my MD location on fios it routes me to NY then to FL where on my Comcast from the same location it routes me straight down the east coast to FL not up and then down again. Also when I run trecert on almost anything Verizon almost always goes totally in the wrong direction to get their when Comcast always does a straight line to the destination, not up and then down and so on, THIS PROVES THIS IS A ROUTING ISSUE ON VERIZON’S SIDE.

This makes me think that first Verizon needs to hire some better network techs that truly understand how the internet works and routes traffic.  Maybe they can call Comcast and ask for help since over the last 8 years I have had Comcast I don’t think we have ever had a routing issue, we have had other issues like speeds not being what they should be or the entire network goes down. But they never have a routing issue ever. You also obviously cannot get the speeds that you can on fios from Comcast yet at least at an affordable rate. But Verizon has some kind of routing issue and they need to fix this problem  this is worse than having a speed problem.

I wouldn’t care as much if it was slow if I could just get to where I need to get to and stay connected to it. Being able to only access half the internet on FIOS even at fast speeds does not work, you need to be able to route to anything online anywhere in the world anytime.  And for a provider to have issues to route to Google who probably has more servers in the world than anyone else seems like a major problem and they would want to fix it right away. If they dont want to get help from comcast maybe Google can help them.

Re: Highlevel tech @ FIOS said FIOS has issues routing 2 Google and I should always do a ping 2 yaho
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the problems with the network routing. We would like to help take a look at this. I have sent you a private message to get more information.

0 Likes
Re: Highlevel tech @ FIOS said FIOS has issues routing 2 Google and I should always do a ping 2 yaho
dwright1542
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is an ongoing and enormous problem.  I have clients from Virginia to New Jersey that are having extreme packet losses to google, huge latency to Yahoo and general routing problems to other sites.

We are using Cisco / Sonicwall firewalls, and merely switching from FIOS to Comcast (we have both connections here) fixes the problem.  Other clients that have both are experiencing the same problems.

I'm shocked that there is no official statement yet.  I logged a call weeks ago about this.

weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Sounds like it's time for an escalation.

0 Likes
dwright1542
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, how?   Getting thru Tech Support is impossible.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll see if I can get someone for you. Hang on!

By the way, Yahoo! Web Servers have ICMP Data on low priority. Doesn't matter which time of the day, it's often better to try pinging a hop just before their web servers if you want accurate latency. Google is always iffy, since their same network also delivers YouTube Traffic and their peering points are known to hit the fan with Verizon a lot. You're better off pinging sites like dslreports.com or other technical sites.

0 Likes
dwright1542
Enthusiast - Level 2

This isn't just "pinging", it's packet loss in general.   Any google sites are awful.   youtube barely functions.   I make the flip on my sonicwall to make the Comcast connection the http primary, and all my problems go away.

We also SIP trunk to a few providers, and over FIOS, some of them are disasters.   Make the flip to Comcast, WAHMMO, no problems.

It really is looking more and more that the Verizon network has some serious routing / over subscribed problems, and they aren't getting fixed.    Getting thru lvl 1 after explaining I use corporate grade firewalls, and after I decline the $150 onsite tech to come fix my redundant sonicwall setup (yeah right) is a waste of a solid 90mins.

I've got consistent data on about 10 FIOS connections in the Mid-Atlantic area that show the SAME problem.    Some cisco, some sonicwall.   It's not us.

-D

0 Likes
Chaosman453

Ever since I switched to Verizon FiOS, everything has been fine EXCEPT youtube. Youtube is constantly slow even though I have a 15/5. It gets so bad sometimes I have to switch to 360p. On my old RCN 20/2 connection, I could watch full HD 1080p videos without the slightest of problems.This has been happening since the first day of installation (the beginning of this month). Done multiple packet tests to google.com and youtube.com. No packet loss but unusually high latency. Been at a friend's home where he still uses RCN and Youtube works like a charm there. This seems like a Verizon side problem.

It seems to be just youtube. Hulu, vimeo, etc. all load perfectly. Speedtest.com shows I'm getting around 25/6 so it's just between Youtube/Google and Verizon

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

YouTube is going to be slow from time to time. Consider the large amounts of traffic Google has to handle with everyone hitting their servers with videos at one time. Not to mention every cache server has to pull from other cache servers and master pools to handle the load. The fixing point I've found for many Slow YouTube/Google situations was to change the DNS Servers used by the network. Often doing that will get you down to a faster group of servers. Unpopular videos tend to not be cached very well, so expect those to be slow during peak usage times, and super busy "trending" videos, I would expect those to be slow on the default quality of 360p for obvious reasons.

If Google's peering with Verizon is saturated, it'll be tough to get around that one in many cases. Not much you can do in this case besides pressing Ctrl + F5 or toggle the video quality between your preferred option and another to try to grab another server.

0 Likes
dwright1542
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is not simply a "youtube" problem.  This is a serious trunking problem between Verizon and the world.  Consistently now over the last 2-3 months, running on Comcast we have zero problems.   Flipping to FIOS produces SIP call problems, youtube problems, etc.

Me and a few other Philadelphia area consultants have collaboarated on data from approx 15 sites all showing the same issues from VA to NY.

Despite mutiple calls and PM's on this message boards from Verizon people,  this is still not resolved.  

Tech support is a disaster.   90 mins of call time will get you yet another person that says "Did you reboot your Actiontec?"

0 Likes