HNP is blocking a mystery device from contacting malicious sites.
Allons_C

I’m getting constant alerts that my device “new-host-1” has been blocked from accessing malicious sites. I can see that the device is an Amazon device and I see it’s IP address. I’ve tried selecting the option in my Fios app to block the device from connecting to the network. The problem is that ALL our Amazon devices end up getting blocked — Kindles, Echos, Fire Stick. Additionally, none of the IP addresses for these devices match the one listed for the offending device. Any advice on how to find the specific device that’s trying to misbehave?

0 Likes
Re: HNP is blocking a mystery device from contacting malicious sites.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Allons_C wrote:

I can see that the device is an Amazon device and I see it’s IP address.

How do you know its an Amazon device? So you have found its MAC address too? You ascertained the device is made by Amazon from the organizationally unique identifier in the MAC address?

If so, you can use this MAC address to locate the device by checking the labels on each Amazon device. The MAC address is printed near the FCC certification.

0 Likes
Allons_C

I'm just relying on the Device Technical Info provided by the My Fios app.   See screenshot here.

Also, all Amazon devices stopped connecting to the internet once I selected "Block All Internet Access" for the device.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I see. Did not realize the Fios App does not report MAC address.

Log into your router through 192.168.1.1 go to My Network > Find the IP address > Find the MAC address. Then you can use that MAC address to "hunt down" that device.

All Amazon device losing connection? That should not be the expected behavior. Can you log into the router and reenable it there?

0 Likes