home from vacation - Fios internet not working, phone/TV are
cproietti

My husband powers down all electrical gadgets prior to vacation. When we returned on Sunday the 16th and he turned everything back on we noted that there was no information on any of the shows on the TV. We assumed it was related to powering back up taking some time. When we still had no internet or TV info on Monday the 17th he called Verizon. Our phone and TV work fine, it is the internet that is out. The LAN works fine, it is just the WAN Coax light that does not illuminate and the troubleshooter says we are not connected to the internet

He spoke with a tech for some time and they determined that it was the modem/router that was the issue. They shipped a new router. It arrived yesterday.

Last night I spent some time switching to the new modem/router and trying to set it up. From the get-go the WAN Coax light was not on. I tried the troubleshooter DVD they sent and it kept saying to check connections. I did - every connection along that coax pathway to that modem was tight (box outside the house connected to splitter for lines coming in to house; splitter separating coax b/t 1st floor and 2nd floor (snaked through a wall), splitter on second floor splitting to the office and attic/guest room, and at the modem itself).

I called tech support and spoke with someone briefly. She agreed that it seemed odd that a brand new modem/router would be defective, and thought the issue was to the house, probably to coax lines. A Tech is coming next Monday (ARGH!!!!) to take a look. She indicated if it requires work inside our home it is $96 for the first half hour and $46 or something like that for each half hour after that.

I want to avoid those expenses, so I tried swapping out the cable between the modem/router (M/R) and the 2nd floor splitter, no improvement, took out the second floor splitter and directly attached M/R - still not working. That got me thinking that there can't really be anything short of our coax cable being cut that could have happened that would make it SUDDENLY be defective. So I spoke with a colleague and he suspects it is a setting on the box/account and not a physical issue with our coax. He found me the following link with mention of an ONT issue,...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/General-Residential-Products-and/FIOS-Internet-and-phone-down-but-TV-st...

Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: home from vacation - Fios internet not working, phone/TV are
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

Is the ONT powered up?

tns
Master - Level 2

Have you tried rebooting the ONT?  http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16357

Had you been using a ethernet connection from  the ONT to the router or just the coax?  If you were using ethernet you may have to make a change in the Router settings.

Fox00x

It sounds like a defective router.  I would request the to send another one and see if that fixes the issue before I spend money on a tech.  I've received bad routers and bad DVR from Verizon many time. 

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

From what he said, I thought they already sent one replacement router.

0 Likes