Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu

Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.

SOLVED
wisconatives
Contributor
Contributor

Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.

Message 1 of 3
(736 Views)

Can someone validate this for me?

If I use a profile in Home Network Protection to schedule internet access... the schedule shuts down internet through a proxy. My son can still use devices by using a VPN.

If I "Pause" internet on his profile. It is a full stop on internet activity. He cannot access the internet on these devices using a VPN.

Does it work this way for everyone else? This is a poor implementation. Since the scheduled option doesn't work, I have to manually pause his internet every night. It's tiresome. I'm thinking of buying different routers to make this work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cang_Household
MVP MVP
MVP

Re: Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.

Message 3 of 3
(680 Views)

First of all, I recommend against using technological measures for parenting. Since your son knows about VPN, that's likely a coping mechanism developed from previously being blocked from the Internet.

How long would your son figure out to bypass the DNS or MAC-based blocking mechanism of the HNP?

Since the DNS-based blocking offered by the HNP is not working, I was going to ask you to try MAC-based access controls offered by the firewall. But, second thoughts make me want to type the above words.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.

Message 2 of 3
(696 Views)

Other users who have Fios and HNP will comment.

@wisconatives wrote:

I'm thinking of buying different routers to make this work.

You only need to use their NAT router if:

#1 You have Fios TV One  (or Fios One TV - if I got the name wrong)

#2 You need support from Verizon.

-> Support will end at the ONT if you use your own NAT router.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Cang_Household
MVP MVP
MVP

Message 3 of 3
(681 Views)

First of all, I recommend against using technological measures for parenting. Since your son knows about VPN, that's likely a coping mechanism developed from previously being blocked from the Internet.

How long would your son figure out to bypass the DNS or MAC-based blocking mechanism of the HNP?

Since the DNS-based blocking offered by the HNP is not working, I was going to ask you to try MAC-based access controls offered by the firewall. But, second thoughts make me want to type the above words.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title