Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.
wisconatives

Can someone validate this for me?

If I use a profile in Home Network Protection to schedule internet access... the schedule shuts down internet through a proxy. My son can still use devices by using a VPN.

If I "Pause" internet on his profile. It is a full stop on internet activity. He cannot access the internet on these devices using a VPN.

Does it work this way for everyone else? This is a poor implementation. Since the scheduled option doesn't work, I have to manually pause his internet every night. It's tiresome. I'm thinking of buying different routers to make this work.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, I recommend against using technological measures for parenting. Since your son knows about VPN, that's likely a coping mechanism developed from previously being blocked from the Internet.

How long would your son figure out to bypass the DNS or MAC-based blocking mechanism of the HNP?

Since the DNS-based blocking offered by the HNP is not working, I was going to ask you to try MAC-based access controls offered by the firewall. But, second thoughts make me want to type the above words.

View solution in original post

Re: Home Network Protection - Pausing Internet stops VPN bypass.... schedule does not.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Other users who have Fios and HNP will comment.

@wisconatives wrote:

I'm thinking of buying different routers to make this work.

You only need to use their NAT router if:

#1 You have Fios TV One  (or Fios One TV - if I got the name wrong)

#2 You need support from Verizon.

-> Support will end at the ONT if you use your own NAT router.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

First of all, I recommend against using technological measures for parenting. Since your son knows about VPN, that's likely a coping mechanism developed from previously being blocked from the Internet.

How long would your son figure out to bypass the DNS or MAC-based blocking mechanism of the HNP?

Since the DNS-based blocking offered by the HNP is not working, I was going to ask you to try MAC-based access controls offered by the firewall. But, second thoughts make me want to type the above words.