Home network stopped functioning after FIOS installation
Jack_M
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have 2 desktops running XP and a wireless laptop running Vista.  With my old router, I was able to transfer files and print. 

After the FIOS installation, the three computers don't "see" each other.  All 3 have internet connectivity and no problems with

email.  The 2 destops are cabled to the router (MI424WI) and the laptop uses wireless.  My printers are cabled to one of the

desktops.  It is most inconvenient only have 1 PC that can print.  I've tried the "Set up a network" wizard on the XP machines

but it doesn't change anything. 

Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Home network stopped functioning after FIOS installation
Jack_M
Enthusiast - Level 1

The firewall hint did the trick.  I tweaked Norton 360 on the desktops and I can now print and file share.  Thanks much, Justin!

Jack

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

I experienced that in the past, and found that my software firewall was the culprit. I don't know if you are using any software firewalls, but when I installed theActiontec router my IP address changed from 192.168.0.x to 192.168.1.x. I had my ZoneAlarm firewall set to allow traffic on the 192.168.0.x range only, so no communication between systems, but internet access was just fine. Changing the allowed range fixed the problem.

Since they were able to commnicate before, I presume they are all in the same workgroup, so that should not be the problem.

When you installed FiOS, did you or the tech do any configuration to the router? If so, you might consider recording those settings and then resetting the router back to the factory defaults and trying it out. If the sharing works then, you could go back in and try the customization again, testing after each change to see whether it affects the sharing.

Other than something like the software firewall, I have no other quick thoughts, if you can provide more details maybe something will jump out (but I don't know what those details might be!)

Keller, TX

0 Likes
Jack_M
Enthusiast - Level 1

The firewall hint did the trick.  I tweaked Norton 360 on the desktops and I can now print and file share.  Thanks much, Justin!

Jack