how can i get a light technician to premise check my install?
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

i'm sick of this crap already.  every form of support is useless while i suffer with latency worse that i had with coax (no matter what computer, router and patch cords are used) even getting DHCP to change my public IP and route (by changing my router MAC address) yields no joy.  

http://i.imgur.com/0DeWlV3.jpg

has ANY of my "peers" here ever gotten a correctly trained meter equipped premise visit techs to check on their service from the ONT back to their CO?  all the usual install tech are useless as all they know how to do is cross connect, they have absolutely zero training and equipment when it comes to  quality control, and all phone support know how to do is run inconsequencial speedtests and tracerts.  social media support on twitter and facebook is equally intransigent.

0 Likes
Re: how can i get a light technician to premise check my install?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not completely familiar with the tool you posted.

But I see hops of a few milliseconds.

Is that correct?

What latency issue are you seeing?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www22.verizon.com/wholesale/troubleadmin/codelist/verizon-codes.html

Although some techs may have the necessary equipment other than their tablets a simple phone call is what they normally do to the central office. 

Doing any other type of deep scan test is not going to happen. 

Keep calling they may get a tech out there to appease you. 

0 Likes
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smiley Surprised

may get a tech out there to appease you

good news gang; i gave this tracert to chat tech support;

1 3 ms <1 ms <1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms lo0-100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-394.verizon-gni.net [72.80.163.1]
3 12 ms 7 ms 11 ms B3394.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.132.100]

they remotely rebooted my ONT and i still got;

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms DD-WRT [192.168.1.1]
2 8 ms 9 ms 15 ms lo0-100.NYCMNY-VFTTP-394.verizon-gni.net [72.80.163.1]
3 4 ms 7 ms 11 ms B3394.NYCMNY-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net [100.41.132.100]

fyi: these are my first 3 hops to the CO going anywhere in the world

i explained it's been this bad since the initial install weeks ago

and even after i got DHCP to issue me a new public IP,

and even if i direct connect a cat6 wired pc to the ont - same crap.

(so it's not a router issue, even though i'm not using a g1100).

they asked me some more scripted questions over 20 minutes, then

they schedualed a tech they insist can diagnose and remedy this.

i'll believe it when i see it.  i told the premise visit schedualer that i

have keys to the riser closet and building distribution closet, so if this

person can actually do what they say, it won't be from lack of access.

i'll update thursday evening how this all turned out.

i'm sure in the end they'll still find some way to blame it on me,

but at least i can rest easy that i did all i could to remedy this.

0 Likes
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I discovered something important that provoked me to spend more time testing equipment and researching other related issues, so i postponed my premise visit a week - will update this thread with anything useful i discover along the way. 

0 Likes
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've run a lot of quality related test at various days and times directly off my ONT and again wired off my non-Verizon 1200ac1gig Router (no difference). I also googled around to various forums looking at fios test results other subscribers have posted.  so now I can safely conclude that despite my building getting fios only a year ago, that my apt service is just "average" - not deficient in any specific way that a premise visit would resolve. my new service disappointment here may stem from my PON (OLT : ONT) being  congested already - this would explain why my best latency and average latency are even wider during prime time.

while I'm certain my 100 unit building has a multiple PON service coming into it and did consider having a tech come anyway in hopes he would cross connect me to a less congested one, I realize now that the cross connect scheme in our new 2016 installed FHD and floor riser DT's are too prefabricated so it's unlikely he could have done much about it. I know premise visits are expensive for the ISP, and would rather save "crying wolf" for when I may actually need it,  so I cancelled the premise visit and closed the trouble ticket.  looking back I'm more grateful tier-3 even authorized it, and guess as a new subscriber (still within the money back on service cancel period) they were just trying to placate me.

one observation while testing things to death was;  it may be possible to provoke a routing change at the CO between hop 2 and 3 by releasing and renewing your public IP off verizon's DHCP server a few times.  I didn't notice much of a difference between them (only got 2 choices) but in the future this could come in handy should my average latency at hop 3 worsen.

sorry to have made such a fuss here - it seems I was biased by optimal test results seen elsewhere before getting fios for the first time, instead of what real world fios isp residential subscribers are actually getting in the tri-state area.  one can only hope that as Verizon upgrades their NYC central offices to accommodate IPTV(at the home) and NG-PON2(at the CO) that average latency for everyone on the same PONs will also enjoy some noticeable improvement.

|Host % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|-------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| -   0 | 2205 | 2205 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
| -   0 | 2204 | 2204 |    0 |    7 |   79 |    1 |
| -   0 | 2204 | 2204 |    1 |    8 |   82 |    9 |
| - 100 | 441  |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
| - 100 | 441  |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
| -   0 | 2204 | 2204 |    3 |    8 |  100 |    5 |
| -   0 | 2204 | 2204 |    3 |    8 |   85 |    5 |

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31557658-ONT-Verizon-FiOS-G2100-NEW-ONT-Gateway-Information

Here is a forum post that may interest you. Just a little information for you to think about.

Good Luck

0 Likes
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

some new 1-2g capable ont+router box would not have mattered.

it's not good to falsely raise people's expectation here on next gen

as I intentinally got the old dumb layer-2 ont to maintain my privacy.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@joe-nyc wrote:

some new 1-2g capable ont+router box would not have mattered.

it's not good to falsely raise people's expectation here on next gen

as I intentinally got the old dumb layer-2 ont to maintain my privacy.  

That was not the point of my post. It was something for you to look at.

Who knows when it woulld be available but it shows promise. And try and relax.  

I have no idea what was installed at your apartment complex. In fact you would not really get much of a choice of ONT the installer provides. Its the luck of the draw.

My own install was an ancent ONT big and bulky but the installer said it was capable of gig service.

Personally I don't care who you are so your privacy is secure. 

0 Likes
joe-nyc
Enthusiast - Level 3

In fact you would not really get much of a choice of ONT the installer provides. Its the luck of the draw.

a fact no longer in evidence.  in 2017 verizon only uses the 1gig capable GPON ONT, not the ancient bpon 100mbps version, so new 50:50 installs no longer need fear having to "get lucky" and feel provoked into being upsold for expensive 1gig just to get a decent ont.

jon, please do us all a favor here and stop posting misleading outdated and irrelevant information.  btw; forum unmasking is what trolls do when they have little else to contribute.

0 Likes