How do I connect a Linksys ethernet hub to my Verizon MI424WR router?
beamerfan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I want to setup a 4 port ethernet hub in my home office. I have a cat 5 line running from the Verizon router location. RIght now I have the line connected to one of the router (yellow) LAN ports. I can get one computer to work on this line, but any other computers I connect to that hub just keep saying the LAN connection is unplugged.

Does the run from the router need to be plugged into the WAN port?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I connect a Linksys ethernet hub to my Verizon MI424WR router?
prisaz
Legend

@beamerfan wrote:

It is a Linksys "EtherFast" 10/100 5 port Workgroup Hub.

I also have a Linksys Simultaneous Dual-N Band wireless router with 4 hardwire ethernet ports I wanted to use, but I have not been able to turn off the DHCP piece of this second router. Using this second router is my first choice.

The 10/100 hub would probably either require a crosover cable or an uplink port. I remember some of the 3com had a pushbutton. I had a linksys that had 5 ports one being an uplink that was shared with one of the other ports. Remember a HUB is only half duplex, meaning devices can not transmit and recieve at the same time. All ports hear everyting. Good if you are packet sniffing.

If this is the Linksys router you have, look on page 9 of the user manual.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT610N

If you want to use the Linksys router and get addresses from DHCP on your verizon router you would need to run LAN to LAN and not use the WAN on the Linksys. Make sure both routers do not use the same address. Or you could use the Linksys as your primary router and plug the Verizon router into you Linksys LAN. You would need the Ethernet enabled and CAT5 from the ONT. Many ways to do this setup.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@beamerfan wrote:

I want to setup a 4 port ethernet hub in my home office. I have a cat 5 line running from the Verizon router location. RIght now I have the line connected to one of the router (yellow) LAN ports. I can get one computer to work on this line, but any other computers I connect to that hub just keep saying the LAN connection is unplugged.

Does the run from the router need to be plugged into the WAN port?

Hub or switch? A switch would be better. Run a cable from the LAN port on the Verizon router to a LAN port on your switch. All should work fine if the devices are functional.

If you have a HUB it is probably only a 10mbps device and will not run full duplex, or give you FIOS speeds. Probably it will not negotiate the connection properly without a crosover cable.

0 Likes
beamerfan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have a Linksys Simultaneous Dual-N Band wireless router with 4 hardwire ethernet ports I wanted to use, but I have not been able to turn off the DHCP piece of this second router. Using this second router is my first choice.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@beamerfan wrote:

The 10/100 hub would probably either require a crosover cable or an uplink port. I remember some of the 3com had a pushbutton. I had a linksys that had 5 ports one being an uplink that was shared with one of the other ports. Remember a HUB is only half duplex, meaning devices can not transmit and recieve at the same time. All ports hear everyting. Good if you are packet sniffing.

If this is the Linksys router you have, look on page 9 of the user manual.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT610N

If you want to use the Linksys router and get addresses from DHCP on your verizon router you would need to run LAN to LAN and not use the WAN on the Linksys. Make sure both routers do not use the same address. Or you could use the Linksys as your primary router and plug the Verizon router into you Linksys LAN. You would need the Ethernet enabled and CAT5 from the ONT. Many ways to do this setup.

0 Likes
beamerfan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Got the linksys Dual Band router to work as a hub/switch.

Thanks!

0 Likes