How do I disable Verizon Message Center?!?!
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

I am getting pop up ads on my sceen EVERY DAY that float over all applications and windows.  These ads are trying to sell me Verizon Internet Security Suite.  How do I get rid of these annoying ads?

I do NOT have any verizon progams on my computer, though I used to have Verizon In Home Agent installed, but I uninstalled this a long time ago.

The program in Task Manager is "Verizon Message Center" and the process is "DisplayAgent.exe"

The message text is:

Verizon Internet Security Suite

Order online now and get your first 30 days FREE!

Verizon Internet Security Suite Powered by McAfee:

- Provides anti-virus and anti-phishing protection

- Allows safe searching and shopping with SiteAdvisor®

- Protects children with customizable level of access with Family Protection parental controls

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
How To Remove Verizon Update Center from a Mac
keirai77
Enthusiast - Level 1

After downloading this app I realized it served no real purpose and was annoyed with seeing it in my menu bar every time I started up my Mac.  So I tried to delete it directily from APPLICATIONS but it kept saying "Cannot move to trash because the program is OPEN"...

The way to remove it is by going to 'GO' in a Finder Screen, then 'UTILITIES', then 'ACTIVITY MONITOR' under the little filter bubble in the top right corner, type in "VERIZON" and click on the little "Stop Sign" icon to stop it from running... then back to your APPLICATIONS list and BOOM delete it.

View solution in original post

Re: How do I disable Verizon Message Center?!?!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check your Startup Options to see if the Display Agent shows up in there (msconfig should do it). You could at least stop it from starting up until we figure out what it is and how to remove it.

0 Likes
ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

Thats the first thing I tried, but there is no DisplayAgent (or any other Verizon apps) in my startup...  Nor my services...

Anymore ideas?

0 Likes
Zorg1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Try removing IHT_MessageCenter (or something like that) from Add or Remove Programs. I just did it, so I'm not sure if it will work, but it looks like it should.

I'd also recommend sorting by publisher and uninstalling everything from Verizon.

ILikeFIOS
Contributor - Level 1

Ah!!  Didn't see that there... I uninstalled everythign by verizon except for that one.  Very tricky of them.

I'll know for sure tomorrow if I make it through a full day without pop ups --- but I'm willing to bet that this does the trick!

Thanks!

How To Remove Verizon Update Center from a Mac
keirai77
Enthusiast - Level 1

After downloading this app I realized it served no real purpose and was annoyed with seeing it in my menu bar every time I started up my Mac.  So I tried to delete it directily from APPLICATIONS but it kept saying "Cannot move to trash because the program is OPEN"...

The way to remove it is by going to 'GO' in a Finder Screen, then 'UTILITIES', then 'ACTIVITY MONITOR' under the little filter bubble in the top right corner, type in "VERIZON" and click on the little "Stop Sign" icon to stop it from running... then back to your APPLICATIONS list and BOOM delete it.

scottd11

I found the file with a name of IHC_MessageCenter and removed it.  I'm sure this program has been slowing my computer down considerablly at start-up.  It's taking like 8 min!  And I have an AMD a4-3300M APU processor @ 1.9GHz  6 gigs of RAM, with a 64-bit OS!!! 

0 Likes