How do i get a new IP from the pool?
gerald813

Currently I am a computer science student, I have heard that if you leave your modem box (i have a ultraline series 3 model 9100EM) that it will assign you a new ip address.. i looked threw the router options and did not see an option to release or renew the ip. I knew how to do it on my old service but am new to verizon and the system seems to be a little diffferent.. like previous i only had to unplugg the cable modem for like 15 to 20 minutes nd would have a new one.. i do not have a static ip, thanks for any help in advance!

0 Likes
Re: How do i get a new IP from the pool?
Brennoko
Contributor - Level 1

gerald813,

Same thing should work now as with your previous provider for breaking the current lease, but with a dynamic ip it is not certain that you will actually be assigned a new address.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
For the Public IP - In Verizon DHCP areas:

Turn off the router and leave it off, for at least two hours. Then turn it back on.

For the Public IP - In PPPoE areas:

Go into the router and press the disconnect button.

Then after a few minutes, press the connect botton.

Where this disconnect/button are in the router, I do not know.

For the NATTED IP, which means of the following IPs:

a) 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255

b) 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.555

c) 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255

^^

Here is my educated guess....

Find the DHCP table of the router.

Then find at least two computers IP Address and MAC Address(es), delete them both from the DHCP table.

Be sure to renew the IP Addresses of both computers. And depending on the order of how you renewed the IP Address, your computer will have another IP.

I have no idea of where the DHCP table is in this router.
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
are we talking about an external IP address or the internal IP address?   WHy not try ipconfig /release,  then ipconfig /renew from the command prompt ?
0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

I don't claim to understand the inner working of DHCP servers, but I've found that turning off the Modem, even for several days is not a reliable way to secure a new IP address. It has never worked for me. In theory it can work, because if your modem or computer isn't around to renew the lease (i.e. it is turned off), the IP address in theory goes back into the available pool. The problem is the pool turns over very slowly, so when your modem turns back on, the old IP address is usually still available, and you get it back.

The only thing I have found that really does work reliably, is to get a new MAC address for the Modem, in other words, swap it out, or a new NIC card on your computer if you aren't using a router. That seems to work 100% of the time.

0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

same is true here.   Whenever you unplug the router or pc, it will attempt to get a new ip address.  But, that ip address is loaned to you.  If the loan is still a current loan, you'll probably get the same ip address.

But, why do you care what ip address you have.  The beauty of IP is that it doesn't matter.

0 Likes
gerald813

The reason I care about IP addresses, is because im a computer science student and want to know how everything works. 

Not nothing crazy, this is what i want to do as a career so, I would like to know every step of whats happening.

I know I cant be stuck with the same IP forever, because I dont have a static IP, if that was true I could open a HTTP server, which im not trying to do.

So, I am guessing the IP pool depends on how many people have the same service as you in the area, and renew their at the same time? I you renew and pickup a new one at the same time another releases one then thats how you do it?

Sorry for being scientific, but i find this stuff interesting. Thanks

0 Likes
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

You can regard your IP from Verizon as static for all practical purposes. If you don't do something that causes the lease not to be renewed (like leaving your router/modem unplugged for a long time, or changing the MAC, you are likely to discover that you have the same IP for a VERY LONG time, not days, or weeks, but but ,months to years. 

I have been a FiOS subscriber for about 6 months now, and I have the IP address I started with.

When I lived in another part of the country, I had the same IP address for COX (a cable company) for literally years.

While there is no guarantee that you won't get a different IP address the next time the lease is renewed, as a practical matter, as long as you don't allow the lease to expire for a long period of time, or you don't change the MAC address, you effectively have a static IP address. That's just how it happens to work.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
access your router, click on 'my network', click on 'network connections', click on 'broadband connection(ethernet)' click on 'settings' at the bottom of the page, then, in the last row at the bottom, above 'apply' and 'cancel', click on 'new IP address'   observe, then that at the top of that page your status will change while it obtains a new IP address.Smiley Happy