How to config G1100 for Actiontec ECB6250
TechDH
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to add another room to my setup that has a coax cable. I connected the room's coax to the splitter outside by the ONT and I'm using the Actiontec 6250 moca coax to ethernet adapter. I'm connecting the ethernet port of the adapter to a eero router. No green light on the adapter. All the blogs say plug it in and it should work. However I'm wondering if there is a  setting in the quantum gateway needed to enable coax/ethernet extenders or some other setting to make it work. The quantum g1100 is connected with coax not ethernet. 

What am I missing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to config G1100 for Actiontec ECB6250
TechDH
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured out how to get the ECB6250 working concurrently with the WCB6200Q. I

started by factory resetting it and then logging into the admin console to disabled the other two settings (D-Ext and D-High) so only the D-low was on, as recommended by a previous post. Now the ECB6250 defaults to IP 192.168.144.200 for logging in to make these configuration changes. The problem I discovered is this hardcoded IP prevents the ECB6250 from getting an IP through DHCP. Once I change the manual IP to DHCP, the ECB6250 gets an IP from the G1100 and is able to work while concurrently allowing the WCB6200Q to work as well. They now both get on the Coax network with no problem. Neither prevents the other from communicating on the Moca network. Problem solved. Thank you to all that contributed.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

G1100 has limited settings on MoCA. You can only enable/disable MoCA link and set a private password for the link (password protection is nonetheless not supported by Verizon MoCA bridges such as WCB6200Q and ECB5240M).

You go to https://192.168.1.1/#/network/connections/5/lancoaxstats to check the LAN MoCA status summary, including link speeds, hardware addresses, and device IP addresses.

ECB6250 should work with G1100 regardless. I am only aware one instance where the ECB6250 is only delivering <100Mbps. ECB6250 with G1100 should has a throughput capped at 500Mbps.

I recommend you to use a short coax cable to directly link the G1100 with ECB6250. If it works, then something is wrong in the cable to the room, such as a splitter not rated above 1150MHz frequency (more commonly to be regarded as not MoCA-compatible). Notice: MoCA from the ONT may still work on a non-MoCA-compatible splitter because WAN MoCA operates on 1000MHz frequency. MoCA LAN operates on 1150MHz frequency.

Also, you can log into ECB6250 splitter by directly connecting the Ethernet port to a computer and type in the default setup IP address. You can adjust channel and frequency on ECB6250 to adapt the G1100.

TechDH
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for the helpful instructions and insight. Do you have the link to local adapter login instructions? Its not provided with the adapter and I can't find it on internet. I plan to also test it in a room with a working Verizon extender but want to check the config on the adapter, per your recommendation.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have a Verizon extender that is connected via the same coax splitter, then it shows the coax splitter is not at issue here.

From some sources, ECB6250 has known compatibility issues with WCB6200Q (I think that's the official Fios Network Extender Gen 2 you have?), not sure about G1100 though. Given the chipset within G1100 and WCB6200Q is virtually the same, I would assume G1100 has compatibility issue with ECB6250 too.

The current work around according to another CL here is for you to change the ECB6250's MoCA to D-band Low in the administrative interface. To access the administrative interface, unplug ECB6250 from coax, connect it directly to a computer using an Ethernet cable, and go to http://192.168.144.200. Before you go to that IP address in a browser, make sure you manually change your computer's network card's IPv4 address to the same network subnet, namely 192.168.144.x (x being any number between 1 to 254, excluding 200 occupied by ECB6250). No gateway IP address necessary and leave the subnet mask as 255.255.255.0.

When you see the GUI in the web browser, type in username: admin, password: actiontec You should be in there. I never see the GUI of ECB6250 before either, please upload some screenshots (redact out personal identifiable information and other information confidential in nature) by using the Camera icon in the rich text editor. Thank you.

TechDH
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the reply and insight. I was able to conduct a test from a known good coax feed. I basic went to my one good Verizon extender and unplugged it and plugged in the ECB6250 and it just worked like everyone has been saying. This confirms the coax in my other room which I've never used since purchasing the house a few years ago is likely not a good run or I don't have it connected to the splitter outside correctly. Thanks for the login as I messaged Actiontec and they still would not give it to me. Its good to know I may not need to change any of the settings.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I want to follow up here. What speeds are you getting from Actiontec's ECB6250 connected from G1100? Screenshots and photos would be helpful (please redact out any identifiable information. Please click the camera icon in the rich text editor to insert images).

Are you sure you have a G1100 not a G3100? I have a little disbelief because the MoCA chipsets in these are not supposed to be compatible.

TechDH
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have since discovered that the ECB6250 can not connect to coax Moca network concurrently with the Verizon extender (WCB6200Q) at the same time. The ECB6250 and the Verizon extender are in different rooms and different coax runs but both come back to the same splitter that connected to the ONC on the side of the house. The Verizon Quantum gateway G1100 is inside and connected with both coax and ethernet from the ONC. I have a 1 Gb service. I unplugged the Verzion Extender and that is what allowed the ECB6250 to get a coax light and work. I then restart the Verizon Extender and it will not get a coax light. Essentially they both won't work at the same time on the coax network. It seems once one has negotiated successfully with the Verizon quantum gateway, then the other will not be able to join the network. I followed the Verizon support instructions and logged into the EBC6250 admin and disabled the other two settings (D-Ext and D-High) so only the D-low setting is enabled and this did not work. I've tried rebooting it, verified the settings was saved and nothing it won't join, no coax light. I've tried various other settings in the ECB6250 like populating the password (found within the Verizon gateway web console). Nothing seems to work. I plan to repeat the previous test with the Verizon extender off and then login to the ECB6250 to see what settings did it negotiate to work and see if I can then hard configure within the ECB6250 so it will work concurrently with the Verizon extender on the coax network. I'm open to other suggestions or known work arounds.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

How can that be?

Can you please follow up for me and for other customers?

On G1100, please go to https://192.168.1.1/#/network/connections/5/lancoaxstats You will see something like this.

On ECB6250, can you go to MoCA adapter IP/moca_status.html ? You should see somthing like this (it will be Actiontec theme instead of Verizon):

As long as WCB6200Q works with G1100, it should join the MoCA network regardless other devices. Your WCB6200Q maybe set to 1150MHz channel, but ECB6200 negotiates another channel with G1100. Simply check and adjust the MoCA channel on WCB6200Q through moca_setup.html. G1100 is typically elected to be the Network Coordinator, so it automatically adapts to the other MoCA device.

Again, please follow up because this thread is very useful to others.

TechDH
Enthusiast - Level 2

I figured out how to get the ECB6250 working concurrently with the WCB6200Q. I

started by factory resetting it and then logging into the admin console to disabled the other two settings (D-Ext and D-High) so only the D-low was on, as recommended by a previous post. Now the ECB6250 defaults to IP 192.168.144.200 for logging in to make these configuration changes. The problem I discovered is this hardcoded IP prevents the ECB6250 from getting an IP through DHCP. Once I change the manual IP to DHCP, the ECB6250 gets an IP from the G1100 and is able to work while concurrently allowing the WCB6200Q to work as well. They now both get on the Coax network with no problem. Neither prevents the other from communicating on the Moca network. Problem solved. Thank you to all that contributed.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Alright that's great. Can you please upload your LAN Coax Status page on G1100 and Coax Status page on WCB6200Q? I am interested to see the link speed. Are you getting 500Mbps+? Also, can you screenshot ECB6250's administrative GUI?

You can upload an image by clicking on the camera icon in the rich text editor. Many thanks.